-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Case closed for Morocco despite Senegal Afcon outrage
Senegal may still possess the Africa Cup of Nations trophy and have launched a legal battle against the decision to strip them of it, but as far as new champions Morocco are concerned, the case is closed.
Although the Atlas Lions lost 1-0 in the January final, the Confederation of African Football awarded them a 3-0 victory last week because of several Senegal players leaving the pitch in protest at the award of a penalty.
Morocco drew 1-1 against Ecuador on Friday in a friendly in Madrid, in their first match since the final and the controversial decision to punish Senegal.
It was new coach Mohamed Ouahbi's first game at the helm, just three months out from the 2026 World Cup.
After becoming the first African side to reach the final four in Qatar in 2022, expectations are high for Morocco and they are looking to the future, despite Senegal's outrage.
"We're focussed on what's to come and not getting into that (topic)," Morocco goalkeeper Yassine Bounou told reporters.
"The answer from us (about whether the decision was fair) would be what our federation said and that's all... we're looking forwards."
Thousands of Morocco fans, many draped in their country's flag and tooting vuvuzelas, are convinced justice was served.
"If someone says there are regulations, you have to follow them," said Yassine El Aouak, 35, a Morocco supporter who travelled to the game from Italy.
"I think we will bring the trophy home (eventually) -- we know that we deserve it."
- 'One more star' -
Before being awarded victory against Senegal, Morocco had won the Africa Cup of Nations only once, in 1976.
"The rules are the rules... they are so clear, you go outside the pitch without any reason, you lose 3-0," said another Morocco supporter Taha El Hadiguy, 22.
"It's very different to winning on the night of the final, to win two months later, but a win is a win. We have one more star on our shirt."
Like the players, Moroccan media was more concerned with the upcoming World Cup and Ouahbi's tactical approach than whether Senegal are right to feel aggrieved.
Ecuador's coach Sebastian Beccacece said his were satisfied with a draw against the "African champions".
Ouahbi's team are now technically unbeaten in 25 matches, despite falling 1-0 on a dramatic night in Rabat against Senegal in the Afcon final.
They lacked precision in attack against Ecuador but Ouahbi, who led Moroccan youngsters to Under-20 World Cup glory last year, highlighted the strength of his team.
"I don't talk in terms of weaknesses. They're not weaknesses. We are a top-level team -- the Ecuadorian coach reminded us of that," Ouhabi told reporters.
"If you are a top-level team, ranked eighth in the world and World Cup semi-finalists, you don't have weaknesses.
"You only have strengths, and then any qualities we're missing, areas where we're not performing, we have to make up for collectively."
Morocco will face record five-time World Cup winners Brazil in their first game at the tournament this summer on June 13, one of the most intriguing match-ups of the group phase.
Before then the Moroccan Federation's lawyers may have to defend their status as African champions against Senegal's case, but Ouahbi and his players are only looking forwards to the summer, when they have a chance to win another trophy, this time on the pitch.
P.AbuBaker--SF-PST