-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Controversial African champions Morocco salvage Ecuador draw on Ouahbi debut
New African champions Morocco snatched a late 1-1 friendly draw with Ecuador on Friday in their first match since the controversial decision to strip Senegal of the Africa Cup of Nations crown.
Neil El Aynaoui nodded home from a corner with two minutes remaining to cancel out John Yeboah's opener at the Metropolitano stadium in Madrid.
New coach Mohamed Ouahbi led the Atlas Lions in his first game at the helm. It was their 25th consecutive match without defeat -- if only on a technicality.
Morocco lost 1-0 in Africa's showpiece final in January but, because Senegal players had walked off for a while in protest at a controversial penalty awarded to Morocco, they were awarded a 3-0 victory instead last week by the Confederation of African Football.
They parted ways with coach Walid Regragui in the wake of the final, a few months before the 2026 World Cup begins in the United States, Mexico and Canada.
Regragui's side became the first African nation to reach a World Cup final four at Qatar 2022 and the Atlas Lions dream of delivering even more this year.
To do so they will have to sharpen up from a lacklustre showing against Sebastian Beccacece's strong Ecuador side.
With Chelsea midfielder Moises Caicedo and Paris Saint-Germain defender Willian Pacho, Ecuador are steely and finished second in South American World Cup qualifying.
With an impressive turn-out of over 50,000, with both sides well backed, neither wanted to slip up and the first half was a cagey affair which Ecuador shaded.
Winger Alan Minda sent a rasping shot narrowly wide of Morocco stopper Yassine Bounou's far post with the best chance of the half.
At the other end, PSG defender Achraf Hakimi and Real Madrid playmaker Brahim Diaz combined on a couple of occasions but without much effect.
Ecuador took the lead three minutes into the second half with a lethal finish from Venezia forward John Yeboah, driving into the bottom left corner from just inside the area.
- Morocco battle back -
Morocco stepped up a gear in search of the equaliser, with Hakimi firing a free-kick into the wall.
Diaz, who missed the penalty, the award of which so upset Senegal in the Africa Cup of Nations final, fired into the side-netting.
A spell of Moroccan pressure told when El Aynaoui was felled in the area by Gonzalo Plata.
The Roma midfielder took the penalty himself, poorly, with Hernan Galindez saving it, but Mohamed Hrimat followed up by rifling the rebound into the roof of the net.
His joy was short-lived when the goal was disallowed after a VAR review for encroachment, with Ecuador's fans celebrating the decision like a goal of their own.
Real Betis winger Ez Abde could have equalised for the Atlas Lions but dragged wide of the far post after skipping in down the left.
Ouahbi, who led Morocco youngsters to Under-20 World Cup victory last year, managed to avoid defeat on his debut when El Aynaoui headed home from a corner in the 88th minute.
Ecuador take on Netherlands while Morocco face Paraguay next week in France as they continue their World Cup preparations, still in the shadow of the arguments over the African Cup of Nations.
Senegal are taking legal action and insisting they will keep the African trophy and even parade it in Paris on Saturday when they face Peru.
The matter may not be resolved by the time Morocco kick off their World Cup campaign against record five-time World Cup winners Brazil on June 13 in New Jersey.
N.Shalabi--SF-PST