-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Indian Premier League cricket season begins with silence to honour stampede dead
A minute of silence and 11 empty seats marked the Indian Premier League's start on Saturday at Bengaluru, honouring fans crushed to death in last year's tragic stampede.
The richest league in cricket launches its latest season with title-holders Royal Challengers Bengaluru taking on Sunrisers Hyderabad at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium.
But this year was given a sombre opening, remembering how RCB's June 2025 title party turned to tragedy when 11 young supporters were killed in a stampede outside the stadium.
RCB players trained in 11 number jerseys, both teams wore black arm bands and then everyone in the stadium held a minute of silence in their memory.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) skipped the usual flashy fanfare opening ceremony to remember the deaths, but the mood at the start remained upbeat despite last year's tragedy.
A nearly-packed house greeted star player Virat Kohli and then skipper Rajat Patidar at the start and the crowd erupted when the home captain won the toss and elected to field first.
"Thank you so much for supporting (us) for so many years," said Patidar. "We will try our best to put a second star on our jersey."
RCB, along with the Karnataka state cricket association, left 11 seats empty as a tribute to the dead.
TV images of the cordoned area of 11 seats covered with white cloth and flower petals with a black stone engraved to honour the dead fans were shown ahead of the game.
"It was tragic no doubt, but tough to control things when so many people turn up," Rahul Mehra, an RCB fan told AFP.
"It sad for the families but what can we do, life goes on and hopefully the players can get another trophy for us."
The stadium was cleared to host games in the IPL after the BCCI deemed the venue unsafe due to structural and crowd management deficiencies, and moved important fixtures elsewhere.
The 2025 stampede took place a day after RCB won the final against Punjab Kings in Ahmedabad, and returned to a homecoming trophy parade.
Hundreds of thousands gathered on the streets to welcome their hero Kohli and his victorious teammates home.
More than 50 people were injured, following which officials and organisers were questioned by police but none convicted.
B.Khalifa--SF-PST