-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
Italy curator slams 'ignorance' in US Michelangelo row
The head of the Italian museum housing Michelangelo's David criticised Monday "twisted minds" who equated nudity with pornography, after a US teacher was forced out for showing pupils the statue.
Cecilie Hollberg, director of the Accademia in Florence, told AFP the row showed a "huge ignorance" about art history, and was the product of "misplaced puritanism".
A school principal in Tallahassee, Florida, was forced to resign last week following complaints that her class of 11 and 12-year-olds was shown a picture of the naked statue of David.
One parent reportedly said the image was pornographic.
"This is absolutely astonishing because we are talking about the icon of the Renaissance, Michelangelo's David, which has been recognised across the world for generations," Hollberg said in a telephone interview.
She said the statue was hailed for its beauty and "purity", adding: "One must have a twisted mind to combine nudity with what was suggested, because obviously there is a big difference between nudity and pornography."
The director decried "a huge ignorance" about history and the history of art which, "more than anything, is quite sad".
Florence mayor Dario Nardella, for his part, condemned the US row as "simply ridiculous".
Michelangelo's David, sculpted between 1501 and 1504 from a single block of marble, depicts the Biblical hero David, who killed the giant Goliath with his sling, and is considered an emblem of the Italian Renaissance.
"Anyone who feels disturbed by this has a serious problem with the roots of Western culture," Hollberg said.
- Parental rights -
She warned that "we are really losing our connection with our culture and history... to think that once in Greece, at the Olympic Games, everyone was naked!"
The Tallahassee Classical School principal, Hope Carrasquilla, was told to resign or be sacked.
Barney Bishop, chairman of the school board, confirmed that the art class "was an issue, along with many others".
But he told CNN that "we aren't trying to ban the picture".
He said David's image was used every year in the Renaissance Art class. But this year, contrary to procedure, parents had not been notified in advance.
While almost all the parents in the class concerned were happy with the lesson, he said, the school did receive some complaints.
"We think it's beautiful, but we are going to make sure the concept of parental rights is supreme in Florida and at our charter school," Bishop said.
In a nationwide US debate, Florida emphasises parental rights in education -- a policy driven by Governor Ron DeSantis, who is forecast to run against Donald Trump to become the Republican Party candidate for the 2024 presidential election.
"It saddens me that my time here had to end this way," Carrasquilla told a local newspaper, Tallahassee Democrat.
G.AbuOdeh--SF-PST