-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
Court orders New Caledonia to stop culling sharks
A court in New Caledonia on Thursday ordered the authorities to stop hunting sharks, saying multiple culls were a "disproportionate" response to any danger to swimmers.
The French Pacific territory has been scrambling to protect its busy beaches from sharks after two attacks earlier this year, one of them causing the death of an Australian tourist.
For a while it banned sea bathing outright, and recently installed a controversial net to keep sharks out.
Since the start of the year, the capital Noumea has also declared open season on sharks, running several campaigns of "preventative" shark hunting in the hope of making beaches safe again.
A total of 127 sharks have been killed this year -- 83 tiger sharks and 44 bulldog sharks -- according to the ocean-protection NGO Longitude 181.
Another NGO, "Ensemble pour la Planete" (United for the Planet) filed a legal challenge to the policy with the territory's administrative court which handles cases involving the government.
The court ruled that the systematic culling campaigns by the city of Noumea were "disproportionate" to the threat, especially as there had been no scientific study of the shark populations targeted, nor of "the impact on the environment".
It also ruled that the southern province of New Caledonia had been wrong to allow Noumea city hall to kill sharks in maritime reserves "where fishing is banned by definition".
"Limited" and "proportionate" exceptions were possible, but the shark culling programme was neither, the court ruled.
"It's a lovely Christmas present for the planet," Didier Derand, president of an NGO calling "for a healthy environment" (Vagues), told AFP.
According to a study conducted by La Reunion university, there were no shark attacks in Noumea before 2010, but 13 since, out of a New Caledonian total of 32.
Nobody is sure what prompted the sharks to arrive in unusually high numbers in the bays around the capital Noumea, which lies about 1,200 kilometres (750 miles) east of Australia.
I.Saadi--SF-PST