-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Toronto unveils upgraded World Cup venue after fan scorn
Toronto unveiled its upgraded World Cup stadium on Tuesday, insisting that temporary seating installed to meet FIFA capacity requirements would be safe for fans.
"The stands will be perfectly safe," said Nick Eaves, chief operating officer at Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which operates the Toronto stadium called BMO Field.
For the first time in World Cup history, the 2026 tournament is spread across three countries: the United States, Mexico and Canada.
The Toronto stadium is the smallest of the 16 venues and, with a regular capacity of about 28,000 seats, it needed a range of upgrades to meet World Cup hosting standards, including roughly 17,000 additional seats.
Earlier this month, images of the scaffolding that supports the temporary seating began spreading online. The reviews were not positive.
"Respectfully, you couldn't pay me to climb, stand or sit on that," read one fan post on X.
Eaves said Toronto partnered with a global leader in temporary seating called Arena Group and that the online furore over the bleachers had no basis in reality.
He said the temporary seating will also get a dress rehearsal on May 9, when Lionel Messi and Inter Miami come to BMO to play Toronto FC for a sold‑out MLS match.
"We plan on testing and using every piece of new infrastructure" at the Messi match, Eaves said.
FIFA takes over the venue on May 13, a month before the first World Cup match in Toronto.
But world football's governing body has conducted rigorous oversight of the stadium upgrades, said Sharon Bollenbach, the executive director of the World Cup hosting committee with the City of Toronto.
"They count every seat. They look at every seat, they assess the sightlines of every seat, so there's been multiple, multiple visits by FIFA approving the work that we've done," she told reporters.
- 'One of the best pitches' -
Bollenbach said Toronto was not expected to overrun the CAN$380 million ($277 million) allocated to host its six World Cup matches.
But delivering the project on budget faced hurdles, including completing the stadium upgrade construction in what was a bitterly cold winter with heavy snowfall.
That also created some complications for the pitch, a blend of 95 percent natural grass with a five percent synthetic product, a mix recommended by FIFA, said Chris Shewfelt, vice president for business operations at Toronto FC.
The pitch was tarped through the coldest winter months, but the roots of the grass continued to grow thanks to a sub‑air system that heats the soil and grow lamps, he said.
"In late February, early March, when we took the tarp off the grass, it was green," Shewfelt said.
"We're confident we'll have one of the best pitches across the 16 host cities."
S.Abdullah--SF-PST