-
Ex-Google exec takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
'Mesmeric' movie on secret lives of Nigeria's rich wows Cannes
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Blockbuster 'Hope' shows S.Korea's growing movie muscle
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Freedom of speech 'not an absolute right', Hong Kong trial of Tiananmen activists hears
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
21 more dead as North Korea battles Covid outbreak
North Korea on Saturday reported 21 additional deaths from 'fever', two days after the country announced its first-ever cases of Covid-19 and ordered nationwide lockdowns.
State media said 174,440 new fever cases were discovered on Friday alone and that 21 people had died, as it moved into "maximum emergency quarantine system" in a bid to slow the spread of disease through its unvaccinated population.
"On May 13, 174,440 new cases of fever were reported nationwide, 81,430 recovered, and 21 died," the KCNA report said.
The KCNA report did not specify whether the victims were positive for Covid-19, but experts say the country lacks mass testing capacity.
"The total number of sick people nationwide was 524,440, of which 234,630 were fully recovered, 288,810 were receiving treatment, and the number of deaths so far is 27," it added.
North Korea held its second Politburo meeting this week, overseen by leader Kim Jong Un, who said the outbreak was causing "great turmoil" in the country, KCNA reported.
On Thursday the country confirmed that people sick with fever in the capital Pyongyang had tested positive for Omicron, including one person who had died.
It was the North's first official confirmation of Covid cases and marked the failure of a two year long coronavirus blockade maintained at great economic cost since the start of the pandemic.
State media said that the deaths were "due to negligence, including drug overdose, due to lack of knowledge of scientific treatment methods."
The meeting of the country's top leader discussed "promptly distributing emergency drugs" and introducing "scientific treatment tactics and treatment methods for different patients, including those with special constitutions," KCNA reported.
Kim Jong Un said he had "faith that we can overcome this malicious infectious disease within the shortest period possible," the report added.
North Korea has a crumbling health system -- one of the worst in the world -- and lacks essential medicines and equipment, experts say.
The country has announced lockdowns nationwide, and Kim said they would be following the Chinese model of virus prevention.
"We should take lessons from the experiences and fruitful achievements in preventing virus of the China's Communist Party and its people," he said.
China, the world's only major economy to still maintain a zero-Covid policy, is itself battling multiple Omicron outbreaks -- with some major cities, including financial hub Shanghai, under stay-at-home orders.
North Korea has previously turned down offers of Covid vaccines from China, as well as from the World Health Organization's Covax scheme.
K.AbuDahab--SF-PST