-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
UK supermarket Tesco says Mideast war hits profit outlook
Britain's biggest supermarket chain Tesco warned Thursday that its profits could be impacted by the Mideast war lifting food costs, as it posted higher earnings for its last financial year.
Tesco said adjusted operating profit for 2026/27 could come in lower compared with the 12 months to the end of February.
The figure is forecast to reach between £3 billion and £3.3 billion ($4.1 billion and $4.5 billion), having risen slightly to £3.15 billion in the 12 months to the end of February.
"Reflecting the increased uncertainty caused by the conflict in the Middle East, we are providing a wider range of guidance than we were previously planning," the company said in its earnings statement.
"Much will depend upon the duration of the conflict and in particular, the potential implications for UK households and the economy more broadly."
Tesco chief executive Ken Murphy said the company is "committed to doing whatever we can to help keep down the cost of the weekly shop".
The group added that its profit after tax jumped nearly 10 percent to £1.79 billion in its 2025/26 financial year.
Revenue grew 5.4 percent to £73.7 billion.
IMF chief Kristalina Georgieva on Wednesday warned of difficult times ahead for the global economy if war in the Middle East is unresolved and oil prices stay high.
"We are concerned about risks for inflation moving into food prices should the delivery of fertilisers at a reasonable price (not be) restarted soon," Georgieva told reporters during the International Monetary Fund and World Bank's spring meetings in Washington.
Aarin Chiekrie, equity analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown, said Tesco is "in a better position than most of the competition when it comes to weathering these headwinds.
"Its enormous scale and strong relationships with suppliers are its key tools in keeping prices down for customers, giving them little reason to look elsewhere," he noted following the earnings update.
Tesco's share price was up 2.5 percent in morning deals on London's benchmark FTSE 100 index, which rose 0.2 percent overall.
J.Saleh--SF-PST