-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
LIV Golf reassures players over Saudi withdrawal rumors
LIV Golf on Wednesday moved to reassure players and staff that it remains fully funded, as reports circulated that the breakaway tour is on the verge of collapse due to the possible withdrawal of Saudi Arabian financing.
The Saudi-backed tour has bitterly divided the world of golf since its 2022 launch, when several of the sport's biggest names were lured to defect from the traditional PGA and DP World tours with huge-money deals.
Rumors have mounted in recent days that LIV Golf's deep-pocketed backers in Riyadh have cooled on the extravagantly expensive project, which has reportedly cost them over $5 billion so far.
And multiple outlets including the Financial Times, New York Times and Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that the near-$1-trillion Saudi sovereign wealth fund's withdrawal was imminent, all citing anonymous sources.
"I want to be crystal clear: Our season continues exactly as planned, uninterrupted and at full throttle," LIV Golf CEO Scott O'Neil wrote in an email to staff, including players, obtained by AFP.
O'Neil's missive came as players assembled in Mexico City ahead of this week's LIV event, where tour organizers were presenting a business-as-usual front.
The tour posted first-round tee times as usual, and even poked fun at the rumors on social media.
"Slow news day? We are ON," said one post, alongside an image with the words "BREAKING NEWS. TUNE IN TOMORROW" and the Mexico City tournament's starting times.
"LIV Golf funding and operations are continuing as planned," sources familiar with the tour's workings told AFP, pointing to a doubling in tour revenue from 2024 to 2025, and recent record attendances in Australia and South Africa.
But Britain's Telegraph newspaper reported that LIV Golf executives had been called into a meeting in New York to discuss the potential fallout from a withdrawal of Saudi funding.
The speculation comes as the Saudi fund on Wednesday unveiled a new five-year strategy that will reorganize its investments -- an announcement that came against the backdrop of war in the Middle East.
The Gulf region has been hit hard by Iranian barrages on infrastructure, including airports, energy installations and ports following the US and Israeli attack on Iran in late February.
Even before the war, Saudi Arabia's economic reforms were coming under pressure, with persistently low oil prices in recent years shrinking government revenues.
Cracks have appeared in LIV Golf's player roster, as five-time major winner Brooks Koepka and former Masters champion Patrick Reed have recently ditched LIV for returns to the PGA Tour.
- 'We are pioneers' -
If the LIV Golf tour were to cease operations, it is not clear how it would affect its remaining players.
LIV star Sergio Garcia told a press conference in Mexico City that players "haven't heard anything" since the start of the year, when wealth fund's leader Yasir al-Rumayyan told golfers "that he's behind us, that they have a long-term project."
In his letter, O'Neil did not directly dispute the rumors of a Saudi withdrawal, but said that "the life of a startup movement is often defined by these moments of pressure."
"We signed up for this because we believe in disrupting the status quo," wrote the executive.
"We are pioneers, and while the road isn't always smooth, the destination is worth every mile," he added.
N.Shalabi--SF-PST