-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
'Simply lovely': Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030
-
Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030: team
-
Australia coach Walters heading to St Helens after World Cup
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
China jails founder, fines disgraced property giant Evergrande
-
Australian prosecutors demand life in prison for mushroom killer
-
Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Fallout far-reaching for Australian Rules after latest scandal
-
US India ambassador's Kashmir remarks rile Pakistan; envoy summoned
-
Rafts on Rome's Tiber River cool down overheated tourists
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
Top seeds Sabalenka, Zverev stunned in Cincinnati fourth round
-
Russian strikes kill 9 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Australia says relations with Israel 'difficult' after aid worker death
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death in Miami draw
-
PSG start Ligue 1 defence with eye on Champions League hat-trick
-
Mercedes and Max: What to watch as F1 returns for Dutch GP
-
Arsenal can become world's best club: Arteta
-
'People, not robots': Ukraine's soldiers justify human role amid drone revolution
-
Japan's King Kazu, 59, scores twice from spot to make cup history
-
North Sea drilling tests UK govt climate pledge
-
Kyiv's desperate vendors persevere outside obliterated flea market
-
'Ray of hope': Gaza seed bank rebuilds after wartime destruction
-
Australia races to shield little penguins from H5N1 bird flu
-
Mourinho begins second Real Madrid reign with Barca in his sights
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death
-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
-
Brazilian narco violence spills over into tranquil Bolivia
-
Trump vows 'tremendous' economic costs on Iran partners
-
Trump's devoted 'human printer' in media glare
-
Germany, France, UN condemn far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks
-
Top seed Zverev bundled out by Paul in rain-hit Cincinnati upset
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
Turkey launches internet crackdown ahead of funerals for shooting victims
Turkey cracked down Thursday on social media posts praising two school shootings in two days which have left the country reeling, ordering dozens of arrests ahead of funerals for the victims, who were mostly children.
Authorities said 83 people had been detained, hundreds of accounts blocked and groups shut down after praise for the attacks -- one on Tuesday, which wounded 16 people, and one on Wednesday which killed nine and wounded 13.
Eight of the dead were children aged 10 and 11, and their teacher, 55.
The suspects in both cases were also killed, authorities have said.
Tuesday's attack, in the southeastern province of Sanliurfa, saw an ex-student open fire at his former high school. Authorities said he took his own life when cornered by police.
Wednesday's was believed to have been carried out by a 14-year-old student who arrived at the school in the southern province of Kahramanmaras with five guns and opened fire.
Authorities have said the student, the son of a former police officer, planned the attack in advance, which documents found on his computer from April 11 indicating that he "intended to carry out a major operation in the near future".
They said he died at the scene, though it was not immediately clear how. His father was detained, police said, while local media reported that his mother, a teacher, had also been taken into custody.
The funerals will take place Thursday in the city of Kahramanmaras.
- 'Isolated' act -
Police said the 14-year-old suspect had referenced a mass shooter in the United States -- where such attacks are common -- in a photo on his WhatsApp profile.
"Initial findings from the investigation revealed that the perpetrator used an image on his WhatsApp profile referencing Elliot Rodger, who carried out an attack in the United States in 2014," the police said in a statement.
Rodger -- a 22-year-old American-- killed six people on the campus of the University of California, Santa Barbara, before taking his own life.
According to initial findings, no link to terrorism has been established in Wednesday's shooting, both the police and the prosecutors said.
"This appears to be an isolated act," the police added.
Schools will remain closed in Kahramanmaras on Thursday and Friday.
- 'We will not surrender' -
Police also said they had detained dozens for posting in praise of the shootings.
"Arrest orders were issued for 83 individuals found to have engaged in posts and activities praising crime and criminals and negatively affecting public order, and legal action has been taken against them," the police said in a statement.
In addition, access to 940 social media accounts has been blocked, and 93 Telegram groups have been shut down, it added.
Mass shootings are rare in Turkey and the attacks triggered calls for protests.
Dozens of members of the main teachers' unions gathered Wednesday outside the education ministry in Ankara and called for a two-day strike across the country.
They carried banner reading "We will not surrender our schools to violence".
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan expressed sadness over Wednesday's "tragic attack" but promised the incident would be shed light "in all its aspects".
G.AbuHamad--SF-PST