-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
Infantino says World Cup will be health 'benchmark' for global sporting events
FIFA president Gianni Infantino said Thursday this year's World Cup finals in Qatar will become a "benchmark" for holding future global sporting events during a health crisis.
Qatari organisers, who will have thousands of extra medical staff on duty for the 32 nation event starting November 21, said they are "cautiously optimistic" it will be the first mass gathering of sports fans for a global sports event since the coronavirus pandemic erupted two years ago.
Spectators were largely kept out of last year's Tokyo Olympics and the ongoing Winter Olympics in China.
FIFA announced this week that requests have been made for 17 million tickets for the first World Cup in the Arab region and sought to reassure fans about safety measures during an online health conference organised by the Qatar authorities.
Medical officials told the conference there would be 90 medical points and 10 ambulances at each game.
Abdul Wahab al Musleh, one of the top medical organisers for the event, said there would be 3,000 medical staff just for the tournament on top of the Gulf state's hospitals and clinics.
Medical checkpoints and paramedics will also be deployed at the main fan zone which will be able to hold up to 80,000 people. Qatar has predicted that 1.2 million people will visit during the tournament.
Football has a duty "to make sure this is not only the best World Cup ever but also the healthiest World Cup," Infantino said in a recorded statement for the event.
He added that the health and security standards will be "a benchmark for future sporting events of this scale."
The same message was given by World Health Organisation director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus who highlighted the "unique challenges" faced by organisers because of the pandemic.
The WHO has been working with Qatar on health security, infectious diseases and food safety during the World Cup.
"The lessons learned from Qatar's experience in this World Cup will help us all in designing health and safety measures for other large scale events," Tedros added.
Neither FIFA nor the Qatar organisers, who have spent billions of dollars preparing for the event, have said what would happen if a new coronavirus wave threatens the event.
But Hassan Al Thawadi, secretary general of the government's Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, said: "While the pandemic is still very much here with us, we can now see real light at the end of the tunnel.
"In our eyes, the pandemic has given Qatar 2022 a new significance. Our World Cup may well be the first time that the world can properly come together to celebrate its passion for football.
"We are cautiously optimistic that we may be the country that hosts the first true gathering of global fans since the start of the crisis," added Thawadi.
N.Awad--SF-PST