-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Stokes says Lord's pitch 'not ideal' as England hammer New Zealand
England captain Ben Stokes said the Lord's pitch was "not ideal" for Test cricket after his side thrashed New Zealand by 115 runs on Sunday.
New Zealand, set 254 to win, were dismissed for just 138 before lunch on the fourth day, with paceman Gus Atkinson taking 5-30.
The Black Caps total, however, was an improvement on their first-innings 113, with recalled seamer Ollie Robinson returning his Test-best figures of 5-39.
A pitch of variable bounce in what was the 150th Test staged at Lord's -- the most at any ground -- made life difficult for batsmen.
There were only two individual fifties in the whole match at the north London venue, both from England, with Harry Brook making 56 and Emilio Gay an admirable 57 on Test debut in the hosts' first and second innings respectively.
By the time Gus Atkinson dismissed Matt Henry to finish things off on Sunday, just 996 balls had been bowled in four innings –- the fewest for a completed Test at Lord's, the self-styled 'Home of Cricket', since 1888.
The first day alone saw 16 wickets fall, with Stokes telling reporters after England went 1-0 up in a three-match series: "If you are there on day one, you have had a great time.
"Wickets falling, balls flying everywhere… with 16 wickets and 200 runs being scored, it's a good day out.
"But it was an inconsistent pitch. As a batter you never feel in. As someone who believes Test cricket is the best format and should never disappear, that is not ideal...It's not just the case that players have lost the ability to dig in."
- 'Not good enough' -
Former England captains Nasser Hussain was scathing about the quality of the pitch, telling Sky Sports: "I can tell you as a batter, nothing is worse (than) up-and-down bounce.
He added: "This ground has got so much going for it...but the bit in the middle (the pitch) is the most important bit and it's not good enough at the moment."
Michael Vaughan, who succeeded Hussain as England skipper, told the BBC: "This isn't a fair balance between bat and ball."
In a separate Daily Telegraph column, Vaughan, called on Lord's owners Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) to start digging up the square, pitch by pitch, each off-season.
Meanwhile MCC secretary and chief executive Rob Lawson acknowledged the problem after Sunday's play, saying in a statement: "We hold ourselves to the highest standards and are naturally frustrated when a surface falls short of those expectations.
Lawson, who cited unusually high May temperatures followed by heavy rain in the immediate build-up to the match as reasons for the sub-standard surface, said: "We recognise that the pitch for this Test has shown more variable bounce than we would have wanted.
And with next month's inaugural women's Test at Lord's, between England and India, and a men's Test against Pakistan still to come this season, Lawson added: "We fully recognise the need to act quickly."
H.Darwish--SF-PST