-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
'Simply lovely': Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030
-
Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030: team
-
Australia coach Walters heading to St Helens after World Cup
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
China jails founder, fines disgraced property giant Evergrande
-
Australian prosecutors demand life in prison for mushroom killer
-
Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Fallout far-reaching for Australian Rules after latest scandal
-
US India ambassador's Kashmir remarks rile Pakistan; envoy summoned
-
Rafts on Rome's Tiber River cool down overheated tourists
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
Top seeds Sabalenka, Zverev stunned in Cincinnati fourth round
-
Russian strikes kill 9 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Australia says relations with Israel 'difficult' after aid worker death
IOC to meet Peng Shuai during Beijing Olympics
The International Olympic Committee said on Thursday that it has spoken with Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai again and plans to meet her in Beijing during next month's Winter Games.
Peng, a former world number one in doubles, has been the subject of worldwide concern since alleging in November that she had been "forced" into sex by former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli during an on-off relationship.
Beijing's censors swiftly scrubbed the allegation from China's tightly controlled Internet and the 36-year-old was not seen in public for nearly three weeks.
Zhang has not commented on the allegations while Peng has since made brief appearances that have been widely pushed by Chinese state media reporters as proof of her freedom and well-being.
In one brief video conversation with a Singaporean newspaper she said she had never claimed anyone sexually assaulted her.
An IOC spokesperson said in a statement to AFP that the Olympic body had "kept in touch with (Peng) and had a number of conversations with her" since an initial call in November, with the most recent communication coming "just the past week".
Peng told the IOC she was "looking forward to the upcoming Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022 and intends to follow the competitions and her fellow Chinese Olympians closely", according to the statement.
She reiterated that she was "looking forward" to meeting IOC president Thomas Bach and chair of the IOC athletes' commission Emma Terho during the Games, the statement said.
Bach spoke with Peng by video call last November with the IOC releasing a statement saying the tennis star was "safe and well".
That led to accusations that Bach was acting to protect the Olympic hosts.
Bach is currently in Beijing and met President Xi Jinping earlier in the week.
International fears that Peng may not be free have persisted despite her public reappearances, with some fans at the Australian Open recently donning T-shirts bearing the slogan "Where is Peng Shuai?"
The tournament sparked a backlash last weekend when video emerged of security staff ordering spectators to remove the shirts and a banner in support of Peng -- prompting tennis legend Martina Navratilova to brand the move "pathetic".
On Tuesday, tournament chief Craig Tiley said fans could wear the T-shirts as long as they did so peacefully.
The Women's Tennis Association (WTA) suspended its tournaments in China in the wake of Peng's allegations saying they were not yet convinced that she was free to speak freely.
China has not commented directly on Peng's initial social media post, but has said it opposes the "politicisation of sports".
Beijing will host the Olympics on February 4-20.
D.AbuRida--SF-PST