-
Germany starts sales process for bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Europe-China spacecraft launches to study Earth's 'invisible armour'
-
Tech stocks retreat, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Stellantis joins race to build mini-EVs for Europe
-
How might this World Cup be won on the pitch?
-
Malians tell of torture and killings by army, Russian fighters
-
EU-China spacecraft takes off on mission to probe solar winds
-
Under Trump pressure, EU eyes deal to end trade standoff
-
'We're here solely to play football,' insists North Korean coach
-
Putin trip aims to show China ties unshakeable after Trump pomp
-
Hanoi hits the brakes on petrol bike ban
-
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
-
World Cup glory attracts superstar coaches into international battle
-
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
-
'Little' Freiburg chasing glory in debut European final
-
Villa inspired by former heroes as they target Europa League glory
-
Irrepressible Sinner primed for career Grand Slam at Roland Garros
-
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
-
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, both suspects dead
-
Love, lust and gnomes as top UK flower show bursts into bloom
-
Fans of historic DC park wary of Trump plan to 'beautify' city
-
As bee population collapses, US apiarists fear research cuts
-
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
-
Campaigners warn Italy's gutted rape bill could help assailants
-
Libyan ex-prison boss faces ICC war crimes hearing
-
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
-
Star of Rome's 'sexy priest' calendar admits: 'I was never a priest'
-
Harry Styles fans to splash over £1 bn on London concerts: Barclays
-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
Oil rises, global stocks mixed as markets track Iran developments
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
OPEC+ agrees oil output cut to prop up prices
The OPEC+ oil cartel agreed Monday to cut production for the first time in more than a year as it seeks to lift prices that have tumbled due to recession fears.
The move could irk the United States as it has pressed the group to increase output in order to bring down energy prices that have fuelled decades-high inflation.
OPEC+, a 23-nation coalition led by Saudi Arabia and Russia, had agreed to huge cuts in output in 2020 when the Covid pandemic sent oil prices crashing, but it began to increase production modestly again last year as the market improved.
Oil prices soared to almost $140 a barrel in March after Russia invaded Ukraine.
But they have since receded below $100 per barrel amid recession fears, Covid lockdowns in major consumer China and Iran nuclear talks that could bring Iranian crude back into the market.
While analysts had expected another modest increase at Monday's ministerial meeting, OPEC+ said in a statement that it decided to reduce output by 100,000 barrels per day in October, returning to the production level of August.
"An output cut won't make them any friends at a time when the world is facing a cost-of-living crisis already and the group has failed to keep up with demand this year," Craig Erlam, analyst at OANDA trading platform, warned prior to the OPEC+ announcement.
Oil prices rose by more than three percent following the announcement, with the international benchmark, Brent, exceeding $96 per barrel while the US contract, WTI, reached almost $90.
At its last meeting, OPEC+ agreed to a small rise of 100,000 barrels per day for September after US President Joe Biden travelled to Saudi Arabia to plead for a production bump -- although it was six times lower than its previous decisions.
Energy Minister Abdulaziz bin Salman last month had appeared to open the door to the idea of cutting output, which has since received the support of several member states and the cartel's joint technical committee.
He said "volatility and thin liquidity send erroneous signals to markets at times when clarity is most needed".
- Iran talks -
Caroline Bain, commodities expert at Capital Economics, said the cut was not a total surprise a "little more than symbolic" as OPEC+ has struggled to meet its quotas due to lacklustre production in some of its member countries.
"The bigger picture is that OPEC+ is producing well below its output target and this looks unlikely to change given that Angola and Nigeria, in particular, appear unable to return to pre-pandemic levels of production," Bain said.
In efforts to curb rising oil prices, the United States and its allies have released crude from their emergency reserves.
And in a bid to curb Russia's war funding, the G7 group of industrialised powers agreed Friday to move "urgently" towards capping the price of Russian oil.
Moscow has warned that it will no longer sell oil to countries that adopt the unprecedented mechanism.
Another geopolitical issue is clouding the outlook.
Negotiations aimed at reviving a landmark nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers could lead to an easing of oil sanctions in return for curbs to the atomic activities.
However, Washington said Thursday that Tehran's latest response to a European Union draft was "unfortunately... not constructive".
K.AbuDahab--SF-PST