-
Alcaraz withdraws from Wimbledon with wrist injury
-
Indie game plunges players into sci-fi epic 'Battlestar Galactica'
-
Trump shows off site of new $400-mn ballroom
-
Israeli troops in Iraq: what do we know?
-
Iran warns against new US attacks as Trump says held off assault
-
Oil dips, stocks mixed after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
India rest Bumrah for one-off Test against Afghanistan
-
G7 finance ministers vow cooperation to face 'heightened risks'
-
Ghana, Ivory Coast to clash in 2027 AFCON qualifying
-
King Charles III makes unannounced visit to N. Ireland
-
Ukraine war widow buries her daughters killed by Russia
-
Ukraine war widow buries her daughers killed by Russia
-
Power of Siberia 2: The giant gas pipeline Russia wants to build to China
-
Taijul puts Bangladesh on brink of Test series win over Pakistan
-
Iran warns against renewed US attacks as Trump says held off assault
-
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
-
England sweat on skipper Sciver-Brunt's fitness before T20 Women's World Cup
-
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
-
Stocks rise, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Pakistan court sentences man to death for killing teen influencer
-
Nicaragua's exiled Sergio Ramirez: Autocrats 'don't care' about novels
-
Robertson and McGinn in Scotland squad bidding for World Cup breakthrough
-
Spanish ex-PM Zapatero under investigation for influence peddling
-
Pep Guardiola: Catalan genius who changed football
-
Long-running conflicts muddy DR Congo Ebola response
-
Bayeux Tapestry to be shown flat for first time in London exhibit
-
Albania appoint coach Rolando Maran as Sylvinho's successor
-
Germany starts sale of bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Iran civilians learn assault rifle basics to fend off US
-
Beijing says China, US should work together to promote AI governance
-
Mango founder's son arrested in Spain over father's death
-
Neuer set for return to Germany World Cup squad: reports
-
US police investigating deadly mosque shooting as hate crime
-
WHO worried about 'scale and speed' of deadly Ebola outbreak
-
Seabird habitats shrink as ocean heats up: study
-
Government encourages women to report rape in French star's assault probes
-
Germany starts sales process for bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Europe-China spacecraft launches to study Earth's 'invisible armour'
-
Tech stocks retreat, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Stellantis joins race to build mini-EVs for Europe
-
How might this World Cup be won on the pitch?
-
Malians tell of torture and killings by army, Russian fighters
-
EU-China spacecraft takes off on mission to probe solar winds
-
Under Trump pressure, EU eyes deal to end trade standoff
-
'We're here solely to play football,' insists North Korean coach
-
Putin trip aims to show China ties unshakeable after Trump pomp
-
Hanoi hits the brakes on petrol bike ban
-
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
-
World Cup glory attracts superstar coaches into international battle
-
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
UK inquiry into baby killer Letby case begins hearing evidence
A public inquiry examining the wider circumstances around the case of Lucy Letby, the most prolific child serial killer in modern British history, opened its first public hearings Tuesday.
Letby was convicted of murdering seven newborn babies and attempting to kill seven others at the hospital neo-natal unit where she worked after two trials, the last of which ended earlier this year.
The 34-year-old former nurse is serving a rare whole-life sentence for the killings, which took place at the Countess of Chester Hospital in northwest England between 2015 and 2016, and was refused an appeal bid earlier this year.
The start of the independent inquiry -- chaired by senior appeal court judge Kate Thirlwall -- comes amid heightened scrutiny of the convictions and Letby's new lawyer revealing that she was planning a fresh appeal.
A growing number of experts have raised concerns about aspects of Letby's trials, claiming that vital evidence may have been misinterpreted.
Thirlwall began by saying that the appeal court judgment decision meant that parents of the victims could focus on the inquiry, and criticised those questioning the conviction.
"At last the parents had finality, or so it seemed. But it was not to be. In the months that followed... there has been a huge outpouring of comment from a variety of quarters on the validity of the convictions," she said.
"As far as I am aware it has come entirely from people who were not at the trial," she added.
Armed with powers to compel evidence, Thirlwall will probe the wider circumstances around the case, including the response and conduct of the National Health Service (NHS), its staff and its regulators.
Held at Liverpool Town Hall and not livestreamed, its key objectives are "to seek answers for the victims' families and ensure lessons are learned".
- Vulnerable victims -
Letby, from Hereford, western England, was arrested and then charged in 2020 following a string of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester's neo-natal unit.
The prosecution at her first trial said she attacked her vulnerable prematurely-born victims, often during night shifts, by either injecting them with air, overfeeding them with milk or poisoning them with insulin.
The UK government said in October 2023 that there would be a public inquiry to examine events at the state-run hospital, two months after Letby's first convictions.
Proceedings kicked off at 10:00 am (0900 GMT with opening statements from lawyers for the inquiry and from legal representatives of so-called core participants.
They comprise people, institutions or organisations with a specific interest in the probe.
Hearings are expected to continue until at least the end of the year, with Thirlwall eventually compiling a report of her findings and recommendations, which may be released in phases or as a single document.
She cannot make any findings of civil or criminal liability.
E.Aziz--SF-PST