-
Oil dips, stocks mixed after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
India rest Bumrah for one-off Test against Afghanistan
-
G7 finance ministers vow cooperation to face 'heightened risks'
-
Ghana, Ivory Coast to clash in 2027 AFCON qualifying
-
King Charles III makes unannounced visit to N. Ireland
-
Ukraine war widow buries her daughters killed by Russia
-
Ukraine war widow buries her daughers killed by Russia
-
Power of Siberia 2: The giant gas pipeline Russia wants to build to China
-
Taijul puts Bangladesh on brink of Test series win over Pakistan
-
Iran warns against renewed US attacks as Trump says held off assault
-
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
-
England sweat on skipper Sciver-Brunt's fitness before T20 Women's World Cup
-
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
-
Stocks rise, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Pakistan court sentences man to death for killing teen influencer
-
Nicaragua's exiled Sergio Ramirez: Autocrats 'don't care' about novels
-
Robertson and McGinn in Scotland squad bidding for World Cup breakthrough
-
Spanish ex-PM Zapatero under investigation for influence peddling
-
Pep Guardiola: Catalan genius who changed football
-
Long-running conflicts muddy DR Congo Ebola response
-
Bayeux Tapestry to be shown flat for first time in London exhibit
-
Albania appoint coach Rolando Maran as Sylvinho's successor
-
Germany starts sale of bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Iran civilians learn assault rifle basics to fend off US
-
Beijing says China, US should work together to promote AI governance
-
Mango founder's son arrested in Spain over father's death
-
Neuer set for return to Germany World Cup squad: reports
-
US police investigating deadly mosque shooting as hate crime
-
WHO worried about 'scale and speed' of deadly Ebola outbreak
-
Seabird habitats shrink as ocean heats up: study
-
Government encourages women to report rape in French star's assault probes
-
Germany starts sales process for bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Europe-China spacecraft launches to study Earth's 'invisible armour'
-
Tech stocks retreat, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Stellantis joins race to build mini-EVs for Europe
-
How might this World Cup be won on the pitch?
-
Malians tell of torture and killings by army, Russian fighters
-
EU-China spacecraft takes off on mission to probe solar winds
-
Under Trump pressure, EU eyes deal to end trade standoff
-
'We're here solely to play football,' insists North Korean coach
-
Putin trip aims to show China ties unshakeable after Trump pomp
-
Hanoi hits the brakes on petrol bike ban
-
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
-
World Cup glory attracts superstar coaches into international battle
-
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
-
'Little' Freiburg chasing glory in debut European final
-
Villa inspired by former heroes as they target Europa League glory
-
Irrepressible Sinner primed for career Grand Slam at Roland Garros
-
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
-
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
Experts describe French rapist recruiter as 'self-centred' manipulator
Experts on Monday said a Frenchman on trial for recruiting dozens of strangers to rape his drugged wife without her knowledge was a "self-centred" manipulator with a split personality.
A court in the southern town of Avignon is trying Dominique Pelicot, a 71-year-old retiree, for repeatedly raping and enlisting dozens of strangers to rape his heavily sedated wife in her own bed over a decade.
Fifty other men, aged between 26 and 74, are also on trial for alleged involvement, in a case that has horrified France.
The court proceedings -- which began last week and are running until December -- are open to the public at the request of Dominique Pelicot's ex-wife and victim.
Gisele Pelicot, 71, made the request to raise awareness about the use of drugs to commit sexual abuse.
As the trial entered its second week, experts sought to illuminate the inner workings of a man who, up until the discovery of the abuse in 2020, had been viewed as a caring father and grandfather.
He had meticulously documented the abuse between 2011 and 2020 on his computer, and was only discovered by chance when police seized it after he was caught filming under women's skirts in a local supermarket.
Most of the alleged rapes took place in the Pelicot home in Mazan, a village of 6,000 people in the southern region of Provence
- 'Split in his psyche' -
Psychologist Marianne Douteau described Dominique Pelicot as a "quick-tempered" man, "who inspired fear" like the father he despised.
After what she described as "mediocre" results in school, he became a worker in the nuclear sector before moving on to real estate, where he was only moderately successful.
"The sexuality of Mister Pelicot appears modelled on his character: ordinary in public but within his couple, he had a tenacious sexuality, as seen in the swinging that his wife refused and which he compensated for by using porn chat websites," she said.
Another psychologist, Annabelle Montagne, described him as being a "self-centred" man who tended to "consider other people as objects to manipulate, to lie to".
He objectified his own wife by knocking her out with drugs, she said, saying raping her in such a state of unconsciousness could "be linked to fantasies of necrophilia".
"Voyeurism was part of his psychosexual dynamic," she added.
Montagne said a rape Pelicot claimed he suffered aged nine at the hands of a male nurse could have caused "a split in his psyche".
Another expert had on Friday described him as having a "split" personality, drawing a comparison with the eponymous character in Gothic horror classic "Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde".
Pelicot's sons David and Florian, his son-in-law Pierre P. and his brother Joel Pelicot, a retired doctor, were also to give testimony on Monday.
Dominique Pelicot, who was excused from the courtroom on Monday over reported abdominal pain, is scheduled to speak on Tuesday afternoon.
- Families harassed -
Eighteen of the 51 accused are in custody, including Dominique Pelicot, while 32 other defendants are attending the trial as free men.
The last one, still at large, will be judged in absentia.
Most face up to 20 years in jail for aggravated rape.
Lawyers of the co-defendents on Monday said they would be filing legal complaints over people sharing the personal details of their clients online, leading to threats against them and their families.
"Personal information of the accused -- their identity, surname, name, profession and sometimes even pictures taken inside the courtroom -- have been shared on social media, in defiance of the basic rules of our law," said lawyer Isabelle Crepin-Dehaene, representing all their attorneys.
"Children of defendants have been singled out at school. Wives and family members have been insulted. Defendants have received malicious phone calls, with attempts to break into their home," she added.
A lawyer for the Pelicot family had called on Friday for "the utmost restraint on social media", saying the case was a "tragedy for all families" involved.
I.Yassin--SF-PST