-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
Germany's Merz defends migration crackdown after court setback
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz on Tuesday defended his government's migration crackdown as vital to "protect public safety", a day after a court ruled one of its flagship measures was illegal.
The Berlin court said Monday that German border officials cannot turn away asylum seekers before it was determined which country should process their cases under EU rules.
The decision, in response to a challenge brought by three Somali nationals refused entry to Germany, dealt a blow to the crackdown Merz launched when he took power last month.
But his government insists it is legal to continue turning away asylum seekers while it tries to challenge the ruling, and conservative leader Merz reiterated that stance.
The court decision could "limit our room for manoeuvre a little", he acknowledged in a speech to a gathering of local government officials in Berlin.
But he insisted the ruling was "preliminary", adding: "We know that we can continue with pushbacks."
"We will do it to protect public safety and order in our country and to prevent cities and municipalities from becoming overwhelmed."
He said the policy, which has caused tensions with some of Germany's neighbours, would be carried out "within the framework of existing European law".
The measures were temporary until security at the European Union's external borders "is significantly improved", he stressed.
While the court said the reasoning behind its ruling could be applied to other cases, Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt argued the decision only directly affected the three individuals who brought the case.
Merz's coalition partners from the centre-left Social Democrats (SPD) called for the impact of the ruling to be examined in detail.
While the ruling was not final it needed to be "taken very seriously", the SPD's parliamentary leader Matthias Miersch said at a press conference.
"This must now be examined," Miersch said, agreeing with Merz that it had the potential to limit the government's ability to act.
Miersch said it was vital to provide "legal certainty" for law enforcement in order for them to do their job well.
"We cannot afford to let these issues play out at the expense of police officers," he said.
Pushing back undocumented migrants at Germany's borders, including almost all asylum seekers, was one of Merz's key campaign pledges ahead of February elections.
That vote saw the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) score its best-ever result of just over 20 percent, and Merz insists that action on migration is the only way to halt the party's growth.
But Merz's junior coalition partners, the centre-left SPD, have been uneasy with the crackdown.
E.Qaddoumi--SF-PST