-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
Indian tycoon Adani's firm seeks billions from investors
Indian multibillionaire Gautam Adani's flagship conglomerate launched the country's biggest-ever secondary share sale on Thursday, as it seeks to bolster its balance sheet and broaden its shareholder base.
Adani Enterprises will offer investors 200 billion rupees' ($2.5 billion) worth of new shares at a discount, as it looks to lower its ballooning debt and further fuel expansion.
It comes after the company's share price soared by over 1,000 percent in little more than two years.
Adani, 60, is the world's third-richest person, with an estimated net worth of $126 billion and interests ranging from Australian coal mines to India's busiest ports.
He currently owns 73 percent of Adani Enterprises.
The pricing implies a discount of nine to 13 percent off Adani Enterprises' closing share price of 3,595.35 rupees on Wednesday, according to a prospectus filed with stock exchanges, with retail investors offered an extra two percent off.
Unusually, applicants will only have to pay 50 percent upfront, with the rest due in instalments.
"This allows us to further increase the participation of the average, normal Indian mom and dad as shareholders in Adani Enterprises," chief financial officer Jugeshinder Singh told a media briefing.
"It is one of the overarching goals of our founder, it is very important for him that the ability to create wealth reaches the remotest corner of India."
But the shares fell four percent on the Bombay Stock Exchange Thursday, and market analyst Arun Kejriwal said the company needed a "Plan B" if the quote dropped below the offer price.
"They want the retail investor to join the bandwagon. The idea is good but they'll need at least five million applicants to get the retail portion subscribed," Kejriwal said.
"If something takes the price down, they need to be prepared with Plan B."
Roughly 109 billion rupees -- 54 percent -- of the amount raised will be used to fund capital expenditure of Adani group subsidiaries including road, airport and green hydrogen projects, the company said.
Another 41.65 billion rupees is earmarked to repay corporate borrowings.
Adani Enterprises' net debt stood at 295.7 billion rupees at the end of September, financial disclosures show.
"The concerns have always been the group's debt and that the shares are thinly traded," Kejriwal told AFP, adding that the sale would improve both metrics.
The public offer opens next Friday and will close on January 31.
S.Barghouti--SF-PST