-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
Boom time for menswear as Paris Fashion Week returns
The fashion juggernaut returns to Paris this week, with Saint Laurent rejoining the line-up and menswear on a hot streak, even if the industry remains wary of economic headwinds.
The changing world of menswear is evident on red carpets around the world, where the likes of Timothee Chalamet and Harry Styles have helped redefine male style, ditching monochrome tuxedos in favour of daring outfits and bright colours.
Just last week, Vogue declared that "the night belonged to menswear" at the Golden Globes, and stores have been reporting unprecedented growth in the sector for months.
So the buzz is deafening around the menswear shows hitting Paris from Tuesday, boosted by the return of two big hitters in Saint Laurent on Tuesday's opening night, and John Galliano's Maison Margiela closing the week next Sunday.
Saint Laurent has not presented a men's show in the official calendar since Belgian designer Anthony Vaccarello took the reins in 2016, preferring one-off appearances in exotic locations such as Marrakesh and Venice.
- Succession talk -
In Milan last week -- where fashion shows have not even finished as the industry caravan decamps for Paris -- the talk was all about who would succeed flamboyant creative director Alessandro Michele at Gucci following his recent surprise departure.
In Paris, the big unanswered question is who will take over at Louis Vuitton following the early death of Virgil Abloh in November 2021.
The label got fashionista tongues wagging when it announced that Thursday's show is being handled by wunderkind Colm Dillane, the man behind hot young Brooklyn label KidSuper -- along with an accompanying film shot by French director Michel Gondry.
While many are worried about the impact of possible recessions, tightening environmental regulations and inflationary costs, menswear is seen as a bright spot.
"Saint Laurent, Gucci and Givenchy are working almost better in men's than women's at the moment," said Alice Feillard, director of buying for Paris department store Galeries Lafayette.
"We've been seeing this exponential growth for two or three years... It's really taking off," she added.
- 'New field of expression' -
Even men's undies are gaining ground on the female market.
Male underwear was up 3.3 percent in the first 10 months of 2022 to 400 million euros ($435 million), against 2.5 percent growth in women's lingerie (to a still dominant 1.5 million euros), according to figures from the Salon International de la Lingerie, which is held in Paris this month.
"Menswear has greatly evolved in recent years," said luxury expert Serge Carreira of Sciences Po university.
"It has created a major new field of expression, innovation and research for the houses."
Givenchy notably abandoned haute couture and took up menswear after the arrival in 2020 of US designer Matthew Williams, known for his luxury streetwear.
They stage their catwalk show on Wednesday, with key rival Dior strutting out on Friday.
One name that often comes up as a possible successor at Louis Vuitton is Grace Wales Bonner, who presents her own show on Tuesday.
She is part of a growing trend of women designers who focus on dressing men, along with fellow Brit, Bianca Saunders.
There is also excitement for the return of award-winning US designer Emily Bode, known for using recycled material, who stayed away from Paris during the pandemic.
G.AbuGhazaleh--SF-PST