-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
France's 'Mr Titanic' hailed after sub implosion
A French submarine operator and daredevil deep-sea explorer dubbed "Mr Titanic", who died onboard a submersible visiting the wreck of the mythic ship, was hailed on Friday as having helped advance mankind's understanding of the "unknown world".
Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77, was one of five people in the tourist submersible which was revealed on Thursday to have suffered a "catastrophic implosion".
The news brought an end to an international search and rescue mission in the North Atlantic that had captured the world's attention.
Nargeolet had previously gone on more than 30 dives to explore the Titanic, even bringing up some of the first objects recovered from the wreck after its discovery in 1985.
The tight-knit community of French deep-sea explorers were quick to express their grief.
Bernard Cauvin, head of the Cite de la Mer maritime museum in Cherbourg, western France, said it was "a sad, sad, sad end for a giant of the deep".
Nargeolet "helped humanity understand this unknown world" of the deep sea and had "captivated everyone with his restraint, delicacy and humility," Cauvin added.
Before the sub's fate was revealed on Thursday, Nargeolet's daughter Sidonie told French broadcaster BFMTV that she hoped for a positive outcome.
"But in any case, he is happy where he is. And that is reassuring," she said.
Cauvin said he shared this feeling: "He is happy where he is."
Nargeolet had been expected to attend the opening of a new exhibition in Paris devoted to the Titanic on July 6.
"We salute the passion and courage of this extraordinary explorer and thank him for the dreams and emotions he has given us," the exhibition's organiser Pascal Bernardin said in a statement.
Born in 1946, Nargeolet spent more than two decades in the French navy before joining the French Research Institute for Exploitation of the Sea (IFREMER) in 1986.
The following year, he led the first expedition to collect objects from the wreck.
In 1989, he took over managing the deep-sea sub expeditions of Genavir, the operator of France's oceanographic fleet.
- 'Insatiable explorer' -
"His dives will remain etched in the memory of French oceanography," Genavir's director Eric Derrien said in a statement, lamenting "the disappearance of this insatiable explorer of the ocean".
Xavier Placaud, a manager at Genavir, said he had been on six dives to the Titanic wreck with Nargeolet.
Recounting how together they had explored previously inaccessible parts of the wreck, Placaud said: "These are strong moments that we shared."
Nargeolet lived in the United States working as the director of underwater research for RMS Titanic, which owns the rights to the wreck.
He published the book "In the Depths of the Titanic" last year, the 110th anniversary of the ship's sinking.
The head of the publisher HarperCollins France Emmanuelle Bucco-Cances said she was "deeply saddened" to learn of Nargeolet's death.
"We will remember a passionate, warm and deeply kind man who was an incredible storyteller," she said.
Nargeolet has previously spoken openly about the risks of his exploits in the most inaccessible waters of the world's oceans, often thousands of metres (feet) below sea level.
"When you're in very deep water, you're dead before you realise that something is happening, so it's just not a problem," he told the Irish Examiner newspaper in 2019.
IFREMER said its Atalante ship, which had been sent to the wreck in the hopes of deploying its unmanned deep-sea robot as part of a rescue mission, would start the journey back to France.
L.AbuTayeh--SF-PST