-
'I'll adapt': First pregnant candidate navigates French presidential race
-
China, Indonesia hold talks on security, defence
-
Hong Kong convicts Tiananmen vigil activists of inciting subversion
-
Train to nowhere? South Korea's lonely push for peace with the North
-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
Protests suspend opening of Nigeria heritage museum
The opening of a contested museum in Nigeria, meant to display west African art, has been postponed after protesters disrupted a private visit on Sunday, officials said.
The Museum of West African Arts (MOWAA) had been due to officially open on Tuesday, but this will now be postponed indefinitely, officials said.
MOWAA was launched five years ago by Nigerian businessman Phillip Ihenacho in Benin City, Edo State, with the support of its former governor.
It has also been financed with help from the French and German governments as well as the British Museum, and from private donors.
It is due to house exhibition spaces and archives and aims to host residencies for west African artists and craftspeople, and on Sunday was holding a pre-opening event for donors and industry professionals.
But around 20 men, some armed with wooden bats, stormed into the museum courtyard, forcing guests to take refuge inside.
The group, whose demands were not clear, caused minor damage in the museum courtyard, AFP reporters saw.
"Protesters entered and began vandalising part of the reception pavilion, where we receive visitors, then they stormed inside the front section, where the exhibition area is located," Ihenacho told AFP.
After around two hours, guests were escorted away in buses to a nearby hotel.
- Political tensions -
The museum has sparked tensions between the former state governor and his successor, an ally of the city's traditional ruler, Oba Ewuare II, who says he should be in charge of the museum.
Benin for years has been trying to recover artefacts seized during the colonial era, in particular the "Benin Bronzes" looted more than 120 years ago.
Most of the ornate bronzes were seized by British soldiers in a retaliatory raid on Benin, and then auctioned off or sold to museums across Europe and the United States.
Ihenacho said he believed the protesters were "representatives from the palace" of Oba Ewuare II.
"We have never pretended to be anything other than the Museum of West African Art," Ihenacho added.
Nigeria's Culture Minister Hannatu Musa Musawa condemned the incident in a statement late Sunday.
"The reported disruption at MOWAA not only endangers a treasured cultural asset but also threatens the peaceful environment necessary for cultural exchange and the preservation of our artistic patrimony," she said.
"We are in active consultation with the Edo State government, security agencies and all relevant stakeholders to establish a full understanding of the circumstances and to ensure and appropriate and proportionate response," she said in a statement.
Q.Jaber--SF-PST