-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
Golden Globes journalist group to be dissolved as awards taken private
The scandal-hit association of foreign journalists that created the Golden Globes will be wound down as the Hollywood award show is formally purchased by private investors including US billionaire Todd Boehly, it was announced Monday.
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association -- a group of around 100 entertainment writers with links to overseas publications -- has handed out the Globes to A-list film and television stars for the past eight decades.
But allegations of corruption, racism and amateurism led to an industry-wide boycott last year of both the Globes and the HFPA, and calls for a wholesale reform of the awards.
"Today marks a significant milestone in the evolution of the Golden Globes," said Boehly, whose investment firm Eldridge partnered with Penske Media Corporation to drive through the deal.
The takeover "will result in the wind down of the HFPA and its membership," said a joint statement.
No timeline was given for the dissolution of the HFPA. Under plans previously announced by Boehly, current HFPA members will be offered salaried positions running the new for-profit Globes.
The nonmember voting body for the Golden Globes has already been expanded and diversified beyond the group in recent years. A mixture of HFPA members and entertainment writers outside of the HFPA currently choose the winners.
Once the HFPA is wound down, its resources will be spun off to create a separate non-profit focused on entertainment-related charity work.
This will include at least $44 million of the $48 million the HFPA will receive from the Globes sale, according to a letter from California's attorney general seen by AFP.
The Golden Globes were originally set up by Los Angeles-based foreign correspondents covering the entertainment industry in the 1940s.
By the 1990s its organizers wielded immense power in Hollywood due to lucrative television deals for broadcasting the star-studded ceremony.
But in 2021, a Los Angeles Times expose revealed the HFPA had no Black members. The following year's show was taken off the air by US network NBC.
Following reforms, the ceremony returned to the airwaves this January, but ratings plummeted to a record low 6.3 million viewers and several prominent winners did not attend.
No television deal is currently in place for next year's Globes, which are set to take place on January 7.
American businessman Boehly is also chairman of Premier League football club Chelsea.
His holding company Eldridge owns Dick Clark Productions, which produces the Golden Globes telecast, and part of the Beverly Hilton Hotel, which hosts the ceremony.
It is also a minority owner of several Hollywood trade publications, including The Hollywood Reporter, and indie film studio A24, behind recent award-winning films such as "Everything Everywhere All at Once" and "The Whale."
F.AbuZaid--SF-PST