-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
'Simply lovely': Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030
-
Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030: team
-
Australia coach Walters heading to St Helens after World Cup
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
China jails founder, fines disgraced property giant Evergrande
-
Australian prosecutors demand life in prison for mushroom killer
-
Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Fallout far-reaching for Australian Rules after latest scandal
-
US India ambassador's Kashmir remarks rile Pakistan; envoy summoned
-
Rafts on Rome's Tiber River cool down overheated tourists
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
Top seeds Sabalenka, Zverev stunned in Cincinnati fourth round
-
Russian strikes kill 9 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Australia says relations with Israel 'difficult' after aid worker death
UK's king shares 'good news' that cancer treatment will be reduced in 2026
Britain's King Charles III, who has broken royal taboos to talk openly about battling cancer, Friday revealed the "good news" that his treatment will be pared back next year.
In a rare and "personal message" filmed for an annual TV fundraising campaign for research into the devastating disease, the monarch also urged Britons to take advantage of UK screening programmes.
"Today I am able to share with you the good news that thanks to early diagnosis, effective intervention and adherence to 'doctors' orders', my own schedule of cancer treatment can be reduced in the new year," Charles said.
The 77-year-old king announced in February 2024 that he had been diagnosed with an undisclosed type of cancer the previous month.
"I know from my own experience that a cancer diagnosis can feel overwhelming," the king acknowledged in his video message shown on Channel 4 television as part of the national Stand Up To Cancer campaign.
"Yet I also know that early detection is the key that can transform treatment journeys, giving invaluable time to medical teams – and, to their patients, the precious gift of hope."
Charles did not reveal what kind of cancer he is being treated for, nor did he specify what kind of treatment he is receiving.
He said he had been deeply troubled to learn that "at least nine million people in our country are not up to date with the cancer screenings available to them".
"That is at least nine million opportunities for early diagnosis being missed," he stressed.
He highlighted how when "bowel cancer is caught at the earliest stage, around nine in 10 people survive for at least five years. When diagnosed late, that falls to just one in 10".
Royal sources said it should not be assumed the king was being treated for bowel cancer.
The king's willingness to talk about his illness is a marked departure from the reign of his mother, the late Queen Elizabeth II, whose health was for decades a closely-guarded secret.
Fundraisers and celebrity challenges have been taking place throughout the week leading up to Friday's show.
Stand Up To Cancer, which brings together UK celebrities for the national fund-raising drive, says to date it has raised more than £113 million ($151 million).
The funds aid research into more than 20 different types of cancer, including brain tumours, avoiding surgery for those with rectal cancer, and designing methods to lessen the often brutal side effects of chemotherapy.
- 'Best of humanity' -
Charles's cancer was detected in January 2024 during treatment for a benign prostate condition for which he had surgery. The palace said he did not have prostate cancer.
Just six weeks after Charles announced his diagnosis, his daughter-in-law Catherine, Princess of Wales, revealed she also had cancer and had begun chemotherapy. The mother of three young children has also never discussed what kind of cancer she was suffering from.
In January, the princess also known as Kate announced she was in remission and cancer-free, after what her husband, heir to the throne Prince William, admitted had been a "brutal" year and the "hardest" of his life.
The king suspended his public duties for a few weeks before resuming them in April 2024.
He has stepped up his activities over the past year, making many royal visits around Britain as well as trips to Canada and the Vatican.
He was briefly hospitalised in March after experiencing "side effects" from his ongoing cancer treatment.
In a candid written message during a reception in April at Buckingham Palace for cancer campaigners, the monarch acknowledged that every cancer diagnosis is "daunting and at times frightening".
"But as one among those statistics myself, I can vouch for the fact that it can also be an experience that brings into sharp focus the very best of humanity," he said.
V.Said--SF-PST