-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
-
2,500 dead and rising -- UN says DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'growing exponentially'
-
Stocks tread cautiously as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
England all out for 409, lead Pakistan by 238 runs in 1st Test
-
STARTRADER Launches XAUUSD247, Extending Gold CFD Access Across the Full Week
-
Premier League returns with Arsenal eyeing title dynasty
-
Spurs agree deal to sign Man City's Savinho: reports
-
Bayern knew about Musiala's condition 'a long time ago' says Kompany
-
US-sanctioned ICC head warns against 'demise of international rule of law'
-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks
-
Top India court orders new steps to protect threatened elephants
-
Real Madrid star players are compatible: Mourinho
Belgium boosted by Balogun furore: Tielemans
Belgium captain Youri Tielemans revealed his team had been fired up by the uproar surrounding Folarin Balogun after the Red Devils thrashed the United States 4-1 at the World Cup on Monday.
Tielemans said Belgium's players had held a team meeting after Balogun's shock FIFA reprieve and had vowed to make a statement against the World Cup co-hosts.
"Let's be honest: we held a meeting when we heard the news," Tielemans said of the Balogun controversy.
"We told ourselves we needed to do our talking on the pitch. That's what we did today. I'm very proud of the team," the Aston Villa midfielder told Belgium's RTBF broadcaster.
Balogun was named in the United States line-up on Monday after FIFA suspended his one-match ban for a sending off in the last 32, but he made little impact in the match.
The shock FIFA decision came after an intervention by US President Donald Trump in a decision which drew condemnation across the football world.
Tielemans' teammates echoed their captain's words.
"There was a sense of injustice within the squad, and we were determined to respond on the field," said Nicolas Raskin.
Dodi Lukebakio said the Belgian team "didn't understand really why he was allowed to play, because he got the red card," but said they had been focused on performing.
"That's what we did today. So we are very happy, very proud, and what is all around us is not our problem."
- 'Not his fault' -
Belgium coach Rudi Garcia had been among the outspoken critics of FIFA's decision, telling reporters before the game that the ruling seemed like a prank from "April Fool's Day."
But he struck a more conciliatory note in his post-game press conference, insisting that extra motivation from the Balogun affair "wasn't needed or necessary."
"We told (our players) about what was happening. The group is very mature. We have leaders to help us go through that. I told them that mattered the most was us," he said.
Garcia also expressed his appreciation that Balogun had made an effort to speak with him directly after the game.
"He came to talk to me. I really like that. It's not his fault, he's not the one to blame, and that's what I told him," said Garcia.
"I really appreciate the intention that he came to see me."
Overshadowed by the controversy, Monday's game turned out to be a one-sided affair, with the US rarely threatening Belgium other than a deflected Malik Tillman free kick.
But Garcia praised his vanquished opponents for "a great World Cup, regardless of this last game."
"What really mattered to us is our game plan... The US team is dynamic and full of energy," said the coach.
"We played with real grit," added Tielemans. "We wanted to get off to a good start -- something we’d been missing earlier in the tournament.
"We knew that if we put them under pressure, they'd make mistakes."
T.Samara--SF-PST