-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
LIV cash crunch hits Asian Tour as Korea Open prize money cut
Golf's Asian Tour on Wednesday said it had axed a planned increase in prize money for this week's Korea Open, just weeks after announcing a $500,000 cash boost from LIV Golf.
The LIV injection would have pushed the total prize fund from around $1 million (KRW 1.4billion) to a record $1.5 million for the historic tournament first played in 1958.
However, on Wednesday, a statement to AFP said: "The Asian Tour can confirm the prize money for the Kolon Korea Open has been revised to the original amount of KRW 1.4 billion, the same as last year.
"We communicated this revision to our members following an update from the title sponsor Kolon.
"The champion will receive a bonus of KRW 200 million as previously announced."
In April, the Asian Tour announced the Korea Open prize fund boost to great fanfare.
"With $500,000 in prize money support from LIV Golf, with whom we have been expanding our partnership, the winner's share will be 700 million won and the total purse 2 billion won, making this the largest tournament in its history," tournament organisers trumpeted on April 24.
However, just a week later Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) announced it would cease bankrolling LIV after the 2026 season after plunging a reported $5 billion dollars into the breakaway circuit since it was founded in 2021.
It has left the rebel tour facing an uncertain future as it scrambles to find new investors and sponsors.
A number of LIV players will be in the field for the Korea Open when it begins in Chuncheon on Thursday, including two-time US Masters Champion Bubba Watson, Mexico's Abraham Ancer and Korean-born New Zealander Danny Lee.
LIV has also been bankrolling the Asian Tour's International Series, leaving in doubt the future of the mini-circuit elevated events which each offer $2 million in prize money and a pathway to the LIV tour.
The next International Series tournament is scheduled to take place in Morocco from June 11-14.
O.Farraj--SF-PST