-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Somalia backs referee after he is denied entry to US
Somalia on Tuesday defended award-winning referee Omar Artan after he was denied entry to the United States, preventing him from becoming the first Somali official to officiate at a World Cup finals.
In a statement, Somalia's Ministry of Sports expressed "deep regret" over Artan's denial of entry, saying despite diplomatic engagement with US authorities and world football governing body FIFA, it was "not possible to achieve a positive outcome".
Artan, who in 2025 was named men's referee of the year by the Confederation of African Football (CAF), was barred from entering the US on Saturday after arriving at Miami International Airport.
Artan's appointment had been a huge source of pride for his compatriots, the country's president Hassan Sheikh Mohamud declaring in April he was "a symbol of inspiration for the new generation of Somalis".
A spokesperson for the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said he was denied entry following a routine inspection.
He was among the 52 referees selected by FIFA for the World Cup finals in Canada, Mexico and the United States.
Somali reaffirmed "its unwavering support" for Artan adding it "has full confidence in his integrity, professionalism, and continued contribution to the advancement of football both in Somalia and internationally."
"Artan represents the very best of Somali talent," reads the statement.
FIFA confirmed to AFP Artan will not be participating in the quadrennial football extravaganza set to start on Thursday.
He "will be unable to train and officiate at the FIFA World Cup 2026 after he was denied entry into the United States," a FIFA spokesperson said.
A source at CAF told AFP on Tuesday the continental body could not intervene, but added: "We certainly feel sorry for Artan."
- Football should unite -
A government adviser in Mogadishu told AFP earlier Monday that Artan had a valid visa for the US.
Artan's rejection has sparked outrage.
Former Somali Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire said he was "deeply disappointed" and assured Artan that "Africa and the world stand with you."
"He represents not only Somalia, but also the aspirations of millions of young Africans who believe excellence should be recognized on the world stage," Khaire wrote on X.
Ex-Somali government minister Abdirashid Hashi called on FIFA to stand with Artan, saying, "Football is supposed to unite people, not exclude."
He "should be judged by his merit and professionalism -- not by the passport he carries," Hashi added, describing the move as a "political decision" by the United States.
"I hope Canada and Mexico issue visas to Artan. There is no reason a referee denied entry to one host country cannot still contribute to a World Cup being hosted across three countries," he added.
In a statement to AFP, Artan said he was in a "positive mood" and focussed on the "next challenges" in his career.
Somalia is one of several countries on a travel ban list introduced by President Donald Trump's administration as part of a broader immigration crackdown.
B.Khalifa--SF-PST