-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
Fernandez remains out despite apology: Chelsea boss Rosenior
Chelsea boss Liam Rosenior said that Enzo Fernandez remains dropped for Sunday's Premier League clash against Manchester City despite apologising for comments that cast doubt over his future at Stamford Bridge.
The Argentina midfielder, linked with Real Madrid, fuelled speculation by telling a podcast during the recent international break that he would like to live in the Spanish capital.
It followed remarks he made last month casting doubt about whether he would still be at Chelsea next season after the club's Champions League defeat to Paris Saint-Germain.
Fernandez, 25, who has a contract at Stamford Bridge until 2032, was dropped for last week's thumping 7-0 win against Port Vale in the FA Cup quarter-finals and this Sunday's home Premier League fixture against City.
"He's apologised to me, he's apologised to the club," Rosenior told reporters on Friday.
"It's a serious meeting about something very serious," he added. "I said every single step along this way, I'm not questioning Enzo's character, I'm not questioning who he is as a person.
"I believe people make mistakes, and you can't overstep the punishment for the mistake.
"I think we've made a sanction, we made a decision, I made a decision, and what I want for Enzo is for him to go on here and have an outstanding career."
Rosenior said that the internal club sanction would remain in place despite the apology from Fernandez, who is the club's vice-captain.
"He won't play on Sunday but hopefully after that he'll be a massive part of the group moving forward," he said.
"There's still a few hurdles that need to be overcome that I won't go into. But at the same time I want every player really, really focused now on a huge run-in."
Rosenior denied that the club, currently sixth in the table, were hurting themselves by omitting Fernandez against City, who are second in the Premier League.
"Football is a team sport, it's not about individuals," he said. "It's not about shooting yourself in the foot.
"There are certain values and cultures that I believe in, that this club believes in, that makes the team stronger if you get that right."
Chelsea have not beaten Pep Guardiola's City since the two teams met in the 2021 Champions League final, when Thomas Tuchel, who is now the England boss, managed the Blues.
But Rosenior said that he was confident his men could win as they push for a top-five finish, which would guarantee Champions League football next season.
"We're a very good team, we've gone through a difficult run, even though in that run we were punished for mistakes," he said.
"There were good moments. When I actually analysed the games that we've had, we've caused every team we've played against problems, but haven't had the results for that."
X.AbuJaber--SF-PST