-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Top teams set to break F1 budget cap this year
Formula One's top teams are all set to break the sport's new budget cap restrictions this year unless its ruling body revises the current 140 million dollars limit.
Team chiefs representing Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull told reporters at the Monaco Grand Prix on Saturday that it was inevitable due to global inflation, notably in the cost of air freight.
The International Motoring Federation (FIA) introduced a limit of $145 million (dollars) last year and trimmed it this season as part of the sport’s new era package aimed at creating closer racing.
Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto said: "There will be no way for us to stay below – at some stage, we will go over.”
Mercedes director of trackside engineering Andrew Shovlin said his team boss Toto Wolff was in agreement.
"We had a plan, to land on the budget cap and work within it, as everyone did," he said. "But as costs, like freight, came in at multiples of that or energy and the effects of inflation, it has gone to a point where it is insurmountable."
Red Bull team chief Christian Horner agreed and pointed out the danger of cost control becoming a more competitive element than it had ever been in the past.
"We need to do a better job on the regulations," he said, saying they did not encourage inexpensive cars.
"The engine regulations for 2026 – nothing is cheap about them and it puts an artificial pressure in there.
"We could end up with more people in our accounting office than in the design office – and we don’t want it to be an accounting championship."
Binotto added that the regulations allowed a five per cent threshold beyond the budget cap, within which a breach would be considered minor.
But he asked: "What is a minor breach, in case of force majeure? The stewards and the FIA will decide on that, but in terms of penalties, (we have) no idea."
He dismissed redundancies at Maranello as a solution.
"I don’t think that is a good choice or a right choice," he said. "It is already summertime by the time you organise it and the benefit is not sufficient to cope with the excess of prices and costs."
Asked about the implications of breaking the budget cap, Binotto added: “For me, the most important is that many teams will breach it and that will simply be bad for the financial regulations,
"If we come to the point where we are breaching them, then we are debating its value… We will start to debate if the financial regulation is worthwhile, is it working and put everything back into a discussion.
"We need to avoid that because it‘s important to have a cap somehow. The only way is to take a breath, take more time and try to do a better and proper job for next year."
Horner added that it would be difficult to find a majority of teams in favour of changing the threshold.
"But you have to look at the bigger picture. Is this a force majeure event? I would say an act of war that has driven inflation is a force majeure event," he said.
O.Salim--SF-PST