-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Tiger battles into the weekend for major reward at PGA
Tiger Woods battled his way through sore legs and double-bogey disaster to make the cut at the PGA Championship, hungry to make the most of his few chances to play.
The 15-time major winner, struggling with severe leg injuries suffered in a February 2021 car crash, fired a one-under-par 69 on Friday to reach the weekend on three-over 143 at Southern Hills.
"Coming back here to a place that I've had success on, to play against the best players in the world, that's what we all want to be able to do," Woods said. "Fortunately enough, I'm able to somehow do it."
Woods won the 2007 PGA on the same course, setting an 18-hole record with a 63 in the process.
But Woods spent weeks hospitalized and months unable to walk before starting the rehabilitation that enabled him to return after 14 months at last month's Masters, where he shared 47th and was happy to be able to walk 18 holes.
"I've had a great PT (physical therapy) staff that have put Humpty Dumpty back together, and we'll go out there tomorrow," Woods said.
Such chances will be rare for Woods in the future.
"I'm not going to be playing a lot of tournaments going forward. They're going to be the biggest tournaments. I want to be able to play the major championships. I've always loved playing them."
Woods said his right leg, held together with rods and screws, felt better than Thursday when he shot 74. Asked to put it on a 1-10 scale, he said, "All of that."
After a double bogey at 11 that put him over the cut line at 144, Woods birdied the par-5 13th and par-4 16th to safely reach the weekend, but he also blasted a bunker shot at 15 to three feet and saved par there.
"Had to fight back, which I was able to do," Woods said. "At 15, that was a tasty little bunker shot. I didn't like putting myself there, but I liked executing the shot."
Woods is declaring he still has a chance to win, even as he hits the weekend 12 strokes off the pace.
"You can't win the tournament if you miss the cut," he said. "There's a reason why you fight hard and you're able to give yourself a chance on the weekend. You just never know when you might get hot.
"This weekend I'm going to have to go low. I've got to do some things physically to get myself there tomorrow and it will be a quick turnaround.
"Hopefully I can post a good round and at least move up the board, get myself within striking distance on Sunday. I'm pretty far back, but you just never know."
B.AbuZeid--SF-PST