-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
Reigning champ Mickelson withdraws from PGA Championship
Reigning champion Phil Mickelson, who hasn't played since the release of controversial comments about the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series, has withdrawn from the PGA Championship, the PGA of America announced Friday.
The 51-year-old American left-hander became the oldest major winner in golf history last year when he won the PGA at Kiawah Island for his sixth career major title.
But he has not played since January after his remarks to author Alan Shipnuck supporting the Saudi-backed rival to the US PGA Tour went public in February.
Mickelson, a 45-time US PGA Tour winner, did not play in last month's Masters for the first time since 1994 and is missing the PGA Championship for the first time since he made his debut in 1993.
It's the first year Mickelson has missed two majors since 1993, when he didn't play the US or British Opens.
Had Mickelson played at Southern Hills in Tulsa, Oklahoma, he would have faced questions over his role with a Saudi group he called "scary" with a "horrible record on human rights".
Mickelson admitted being willing to overlook issues such as the murder of US journalist Jamal Khashoggi to gain leverage over the US PGA Tour.
"We have just been informed that Phil Mickelson has withdrawn from the PGA Championship," the PGA of America said in a statement.
"Phil is the defending champion and currently eligible to be a PGA Life Member and we would have welcomed him to participate.
"We wish Phil and Amy the very best and look forward to his return to golf."
Mickelson, ranked 58th in the world, issued an apology after his comments were made public, saying his experience with LIV Golf was "very positive" and calling those he worked with "supportive" and "visionaries" even as sponsors dropped him and he began a break saying he would "desperately need some time away."
When, or if, Mickelson returns to PGA events remains unclear.
The LIV Golf series that opens in London next month plans eight events this year, four at US venues, but no names of players have been revealed.
The US PGA Tour said earlier this week it had refused all requests by tour members to play in the LIV London event, which will be played opposite the US PGA's Canadian Open.
At the center of the controversy is Mickelson, who had support from other players in February after issuing his apology.
"I don't think his whole career or whole legacy should change because of a couple comments," reigning US Open champion Jon Rahm of Spain said of Mickelson.
Four-time major winner Rory McIlroy gave his support to Mickelson also, even though like Rahm he has rejected the LIV Golf circuit.
"This whole situation is unfortunate," McIlroy said. "Phil will be back. I think the players want to see him back. He's done such a wonderful job for the game of golf.
"We should be allowed to ask for forgiveness and for people to forgive us and move on. Hopefully people will welcome him back and be glad that he's back."
Other players had a firmer message for those who back the LIV Golf series, weary of questions about the upstart group.
"If you want to go, go," 2017 PGA Championship winner Justin Thomas said. "Plenty of guys have been behind the scenes saying, 'I'm going, I'm doing this'. Just go then."
E.AbuRizq--SF-PST