-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Root resigns as England Test captain after torrid year
Joe Root resigned as England's Test captain on Friday after a rollercoaster five-year term that ended in a torrid run of results including an Ashes drubbing and defeat in the West Indies.
The Yorkshireman, appointed as Alastair Cook's successor in 2017, holds the record for the most matches and most wins as England skipper, but he also has the unwanted record for most defeats.
The 31-year-old led his side to a number of notable series victories, including a 4-1 home win over India in 2018 and a 3-1 triumph away to South Africa in 2019/20.
But the past 12 months have been dismal. After winning their opening three Tests of 2021, England have tasted victory just one since, losing 11 and drawing five of their past 17.
Root's decision comes after last month's 1-0 Test series defeat to West Indies, which followed a humiliating 4-0 Ashes loss in Australia -- the second 4-0 defeat in Australia under his leadership.
"After returning from the Caribbean tour and having time to reflect, I have decided to step down as England men's Test captain," Root said in a statement released by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).
"It has been the most challenging decision I have had to make in my career but having discussed this with my family and those closest to me, I know the timing is right.
- 'Toll' of captaincy -
"I am immensely proud to have captained my country and will look back on the past five years with enormous pride. It has been an honour to have done the job and to have been a custodian of what is the pinnacle of English cricket.
"I have loved leading my country, but recently it's hit home how much of a toll it has taken on me and the impact it has had on me away from the game."
Root, who initially said he wanted to stay on as skipper after defeat in the West Indies, led England in a record 64 Tests and has overseen 27 wins and 26 defeats.
The batsman, England's second-highest Test run scorer of all time behind Cook, scored 14 centuries as captain.
His tally of 5,295 runs as skipper is the highest by any England captain and puts him fifth on the all-time list behind Graeme Smith, Alan Border, Ricky Ponting and Virat Kohli.
"I am excited to continue representing the Three Lions and producing performances that will enable the team to succeed," said Root, fourth in the Test batting world rankings.
"I look forward to helping the next captain, my teammates and coaches in whatever way I can."
ECB chief executive officer Tom Harrison said: "Joe has been an exceptional role model during his tenure, balancing the demands of Test captaincy whilst continuing to shine brilliantly through his own personal performances.
"He has led by example, and that has resulted in more Test wins than any other England captain, alongside a number of famous series home and away victories."
England lack a sizeable group of experienced players ready to step up to the captaincy but those in the frame include star all-rounder Ben Stokes and veteran fast bowler Stuart Broad, who was controversially dropped for the West Indies tour.
Stokes posted a message on Instagram saying it had been a "great ride"
"Watching one of my great mates lead us all out on to the field was a privilege," he said. "You have given everything to English cricket and we all want to say thank you for your sacrifices and hard work."
Former England captain David Gower told the BBC: "He's had time to think since the end of that West Indies tour about his role and, the stark fact is, under his leadership over the last 12 to 18 months, nothing much has gone right."
He added: "A lot of people, including me, had decided it was time for a new voice."
Root's exit leaves England -- fifth in the Test rankings -- without a captain, head coach, and managing director while the ECB seeks a new chairman.
England play a three-match Test series against New Zealand starting on June 2 before a Test against India and a series against South Africa.
Q.Najjar--SF-PST