-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Commanders accused of 'troubling' financial conduct: lawmakers
The Washington Commanders cheated fans out of millions of dollars in refund money and hid income from the NFL as part of a long-running pattern of financial misconduct, US lawmakers said Tuesday.
The House Committee on Oversight and Reform said the financial malpractice had come to light as part of the inquiry into workplace culture at the scandal-hit club.
Lawmakers said they had uncovered evidence that the Commanders had victimized "thousands" of fans as well the NFL.
Emails, documents and statements from former employees showed the club had intentionally withheld millions of dollars in refundable deposits owed to fans and hid income that should have been paid to the NFL as part of revenue-sharing rules.
Evidence uncovered by the committee had been sent to the Federal Trade Commission, and marked another blow to the Commanders' beleaguered owner Dan Snyder.
"This new information on potential financial misconduct suggests that the rot under Dan Snyder's leadership is much deeper than imagined," said committee chairwoman Carolyn Maloney.
"It further reinforces the concern that this organization has been allowed to operate with impunity for far too long.
"This new information suggests that in addition to fostering a hostile workplace culture, Mr. Snyder also may have cheated the team's fans and the NFL.
"While the focus of our investigation remains the Commanders' toxic work environment, I hope the FTC will review this troubling financial conduct and determine whether further action is necessary. We must have accountability."
The committee said it had been provided with the information after conducting an interview with former Commanders sales executive Jason Friedman last month.
"During his interview, Mr Friedman described a pattern of deeply concerning business practices that were directed by senior leadership, including Mr. Snyder," the committee said in a statement.
Lawmakers had been provided with information and documents which supported Friedman's claims.
The Commanders maintained two sets of accounting books to facilitate the malpractice -- one that was shared with the NFL that under-reported certain ticket revenues, and another which contained the accurate revenue numbers.
The allegations are the latest in a long line of controversies to rock the Commanders and owner Snyder.
In February, a former team employee said she was sexually harassed by Snyder -- allegations the team owner described as "outright lies".
Washington changed their name to the Commanders in February after dropping their previous racially-charged moniker -- the "Redskins" -- in 2020 following the murder of George Floyd and global anti-racism protests.
O.Mousa--SF-PST