-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Australia set to host 2029 women's rugby World Cup after men in 2027
Australia was Monday named as preferred candidate to host the women's 2029 rugby World Cup, setting it up to go back-to-back with the men's tournament in 2027.
World Rugby chief Alan Gilpin said he was impressed by Australia's proposals to "cement the nation's status as being at the heart of the rugby universe for a three-year period".
"We are excited by Australia's vision and passion to work with World Rugby to deliver an exceptional Rugby World Cup in 2027 and now 2029," added Gilpin, who was in Sydney for the announcement.
World Rugby is due to confirm the host of the men's 2027 tournament in May. The 2023 World Cup is in France.
The United States is also in the running, but USA Rugby officials said last month they planned to refocus and seek the men's World Cup in 2031 and the women's in 2033 instead.
New Zealand host the women's World Cup this year, postponed from 2021 because of coronavirus pandemic, with the 2025 edition to take place in England.
"Today's announcement is another step in the right direction for rugby in Australia as we head toward the final decision by World Rugby Council in May," said Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan, calling it a "once-in-a-generation opportunity".
"We continue to be buoyed by the spirit of collaboration in which we are working with World Rugby," he added.
The announcement came a week after the Australian government confirmed further funding for both events, which was considered the final hurdle to be cleared.
Back-to-back rugby World Cups would further cement Australia's status as a sporting powerhouse.
In addition to the annual Australian Open tennis Grand Slam and Formula One race, the country will host cricket's Twenty20 World Cup and the women's basketball World Cup this year.
It will jointly hold football's women's World Cup with New Zealand in 2023, a British and Irish Lions rugby tour in 2025 and the Netball World Cup in 2027, while the 2032 summer Olympics are in Brisbane.
"The timeline of major sporting events in Australia over the next decade, culminating in the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, provides a unique opportunity to create significant socio-economic benefits that will last generations and drive Australia's post Covid-19 recovery," said Sport's Minister Richard Colbeck.
F.AbuZaid--SF-PST