-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Oil prices dip on report of US sanctions relief for Iran during talks
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
Ex-Google exec takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
'Mesmeric' movie on secret lives of Nigeria's rich wows Cannes
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Blockbuster 'Hope' shows S.Korea's growing movie muscle
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Freedom of speech 'not an absolute right', Hong Kong trial of Tiananmen activists hears
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
Equinor takes $1 bn hit from US wind farm regulations, tariffs
Norwegian energy company Equinor said on Wednesday that its giant offshore wind project in New York -- once halted by the US administration -- had lost nearly $1bn in value following regulatory changes and tariffs.
Equinor chief executive Anders Opedal said the company's net operating income had been hit by a $955 million impairment related to its Empire Wind project "due to regulatory changes" affecting synergies in future offshore wind farms, as well as "increased exposure to tariffs".
Construction of the first phase of Empire Wind, a complex of 54 turbines capable of powering 500,000 homes in Brooklyn, was temporarily halted by the US administration in mid-April.
US President Donald Trump has repeatedly expressed opposition to wind energy -- claiming turbines are unsightly and dangerous -- and signed a series of executive orders targeting the sector shortly after returning to the White House in January.
Those included a temporary freeze on federal permitting and loans for offshore and onshore wind projects.
But the administration reversed its decision to block the project in May.
"We continue to progress our portfolio in renewables, and the Empire Wind 1 project development is back in execution," Opedal said on Wednesday.
Of the total $955 million impairment, Opedal said $763 million related to the Empire Wind 1 project and the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal, while the rest is tied to the second phase of the project.
"The construction of the terminal and port facilities was based on the assumption that several wind farms would use them. This is not very relevant under current conditions," Opedal said during a press conference.
"The impairment also includes the impact of higher steel tariffs," set at 50 percent by the administration of US President Donald Trump, he added, while stressing that Empire Wind 1 remained "a profitable project".
The depreciation weighed on second-quarter results, with Equinor reporting a 30 percent year-on-year drop in net profit to $1.3 billion.
Performance was also affected by the decline in oil prices, which did not suffice to offset the rise in natural gas prices and increased production, which is nearing 2.1 million barrels of oil equivalent per day.
In early morning trading, Equinor shares fell 0.5 percent on the Oslo Stock Exchange, while the broader market was up 0.35 percent.
N.Awad--SF-PST