-
Mango founder's son arrested in Spain over father's death
-
Neuer set for return to Germany World Cup squad: reports
-
US police investigating deadly mosque shooting as hate crime
-
WHO worried about 'scale and speed' of deadly Ebola outbreak
-
Seabird habitats shrink as ocean heats up: study
-
Government encourages women to report rape in French star's assault probes
-
Germany starts sales process for bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Europe-China spacecraft launches to study Earth's 'invisible armour'
-
Tech stocks retreat, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Stellantis joins race to build mini-EVs for Europe
-
How might this World Cup be won on the pitch?
-
Malians tell of torture and killings by army, Russian fighters
-
EU-China spacecraft takes off on mission to probe solar winds
-
Under Trump pressure, EU eyes deal to end trade standoff
-
'We're here solely to play football,' insists North Korean coach
-
Putin trip aims to show China ties unshakeable after Trump pomp
-
Hanoi hits the brakes on petrol bike ban
-
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
-
World Cup glory attracts superstar coaches into international battle
-
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
-
'Little' Freiburg chasing glory in debut European final
-
Villa inspired by former heroes as they target Europa League glory
-
Irrepressible Sinner primed for career Grand Slam at Roland Garros
-
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
-
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, both suspects dead
-
Love, lust and gnomes as top UK flower show bursts into bloom
-
Fans of historic DC park wary of Trump plan to 'beautify' city
-
As bee population collapses, US apiarists fear research cuts
-
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
-
Campaigners warn Italy's gutted rape bill could help assailants
-
Libyan ex-prison boss faces ICC war crimes hearing
-
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
-
Star of Rome's 'sexy priest' calendar admits: 'I was never a priest'
-
Harry Styles fans to splash over £1 bn on London concerts: Barclays
-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
Oil rises, global stocks mixed as markets track Iran developments
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
UK pandemic hero's daughter slammed by charity probe
The family of a 100-year-old UK war veteran who became a global hero for his fundraising efforts during the Covid pandemic gained "significant" financial benefit from links to a charity set up in his name, a watchdog said Thursday.
Captain Tom Moore caught the British public's imagination during the Covid-19 lockdown when he took to raising nearly £33 million ($41.7 million) by walking up and down his garden using a walking frame.
Images of the stooped but dapper veteran with his military service medals pinned to his blazer lifted the nation's spirits as it struggled with a mounting death toll and fears about the future.
But in a 30-page report, the Charity Commission said there had been repeated instances of misconduct by Moore's daughter Hannah Ingram-Moore and her husband Colin.
It accused the couple of a misleading implication that they would make sizeable donations from a book deal to the charity.
An advance of around £1.4 million ($1.7 million) was paid to a company of which the Ingram-Moores were directors for a three-book deal, though none of the money went to the foundation, the commission said.
Moore raised the astonishing sum for UK health service charities by completing 100 lengths of his garden before his 100th birthday in April 2020.
Queen Elizabeth II knighted him, making him "Captain Sir Tom", and his death in February 2021 was marked by a nationwide round of applause with Prime Minister Boris Johnson taking part and MPs bowing their heads in parliament.
The commission opened a case into the foundation in 2021, shortly after Moore's death. It launched a formal probe in 2022.
Earlier this year, it also disqualified the Ingram-Moores from being charity trustees.
- 'Blurring' of interests -
In a statement, the Ingram-Moore family rejected the commission's conclusions and said they had been treated "unfairly and unjustly".
They described the process as "excessive" and accused the watchdog of of having a "pre-determined agenda".
"We remain dedicated to upholding Captain Sir Tom's legacy and want the public to know that there has never been any misappropriation of funds."
David Holdsworth, commission chief executive, said the probe found "repeated instances of a blurring of boundaries between private and charitable interests".
He said this resulted in the couple "receiving significant personal benefit", adding that the failings amounted to "misconduct and/or mismanagement".
The report said it appeared that "Captain Tom himself believed or intended that (his book) 'Tomorrow Will Be A Good Day' would in some way financially support the charity".
"Astonishingly at my age, with the offer to write this memoir I have also been given the chance to raise even more money for the charitable foundation now established in my name," Captain Tom wrote in a prologue.
The report's authors said the inquiry could not see how Moore's words would be "interpreted as anything other" than that proceeds would "flow to the charity".
Literary agent Bev James, however, told the inquiry her understanding was that the Ingram-Moores were "very clear that they did not want the money from the books to go to charity" but that they would make a donation to the foundation.
The report concluded that "the public had a reasonable expectation that the Captain Tom books they purchased... would have financially benefited the charity and... would understandably feel misled given no donation has been made to the charity".
U.Shaheen--SF-PST