-
Neuer set for return to Germany World Cup squad: reports
-
US police investigating deadly mosque shooting as hate crime
-
WHO worried about 'scale and speed' of deadly Ebola outbreak
-
Seabird habitats shrink as ocean heats up: study
-
Government encourages women to report rape in French star's assault probes
-
Germany starts sales process for bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Europe-China spacecraft launches to study Earth's 'invisible armour'
-
Tech stocks retreat, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Stellantis joins race to build mini-EVs for Europe
-
How might this World Cup be won on the pitch?
-
Malians tell of torture and killings by army, Russian fighters
-
EU-China spacecraft takes off on mission to probe solar winds
-
Under Trump pressure, EU eyes deal to end trade standoff
-
'We're here solely to play football,' insists North Korean coach
-
Putin trip aims to show China ties unshakeable after Trump pomp
-
Hanoi hits the brakes on petrol bike ban
-
Japan economy grows faster than expected in first quarter
-
World Cup glory attracts superstar coaches into international battle
-
Stuttering Sabalenka seeks to set down marker at Roland Garros
-
'Little' Freiburg chasing glory in debut European final
-
Villa inspired by former heroes as they target Europa League glory
-
Irrepressible Sinner primed for career Grand Slam at Roland Garros
-
China market for Nvidia AI chips to open 'over time': Huang
-
Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, both suspects dead
-
Love, lust and gnomes as top UK flower show bursts into bloom
-
Fans of historic DC park wary of Trump plan to 'beautify' city
-
As bee population collapses, US apiarists fear research cuts
-
Lights out for Cuban students as blockade bites
-
Campaigners warn Italy's gutted rape bill could help assailants
-
Libyan ex-prison boss faces ICC war crimes hearing
-
Argentine scientists lay first traps in hantavirus hunt
-
Star of Rome's 'sexy priest' calendar admits: 'I was never a priest'
-
Harry Styles fans to splash over £1 bn on London concerts: Barclays
-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
Oil rises, global stocks mixed as markets track Iran developments
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
French mass rape victim tells court she is 'broken' but determined
Gisele Pelicot, whose ex-husband and dozens of other men are on trial in France accused of raping her while she was drugged, told the court Wednesday she was "broken" by her ordeal, but also determined to "change society" for sex assault victims.
The 71-year-old has become a feminist icon in France since the trial of Dominique Pelicot and 50 other men opened last month in the southern French city of Avignon.
The case has sparked horror, protests and a debate about male violence in French society, with the country keenly following the harrowing testimonies in court.
"I am a woman who is completely broken," Gisele Pelicot told the court in her second address to the court on Wednesday.
But she expressed her "determination to change this society" in terms of how it deals with sexual assault.
Gisele Pelicot insisted from the start that the trial should be open to the public to draw attention to the use of drugs to commit sexual abuse.
And she has encouraged other women who have been sexually assaulted to come forward.
"I wanted all women who are rape victims to say to themselves: 'Mrs Pelicot did it, so we can do it too'," she said.
"It's not us who should feel shame, but them (the perpetrators)", she said.
Gisele Pelicot addressed the court on Wednesday at the invitation of presiding judge Roger Arata, who asked for her "impressions" of the trial so far.
"I don't know how I'm going to rebuild myself," she said. "I'm 72 soon and I'm not sure my life will be long enough to recover from this."
- 'Immeasurable betrayal' -
She then addressed her former husband who was sitting in the dock without looking at her, asking him to explain what made him drug her over almost a decade, rape her and enlist strangers to do the same.
"I'm trying to understand how my husband, who was the perfect man, became like this. How my life changed. How you could allow these people into our house knowing that I disliked swinging.
"For me, this betrayal is immeasurable. After 50 years together... I used to think I was going to be with this man until the end."
She added, looking steadily at her husband, who looked away: "I always tried to lift you higher. You plumbed the depths of the human soul, but unfortunately you made your own choices."
Her ex-husband, also 71, remained seated without any apparent reaction bar lowering his eyes.
His six other co-defendants whose cases are being studied by the court this week likewise stayed silent, surrounded by their counsels.
Gisele Pelicot, who was greeted with applause by the audience as she arrived Wednesday, has attended the trial most days.
In mid-September, she dropped her usual reserve to talk of her humiliation and her anger towards several lawyers who had made insinuations about her ordeal.
"A rape is a rape," she said.
- Abuse on film -
Dominique Pelicot filmed much of the abuse against his then-wife and also took meticulous records of the strangers visiting their home, which subsequently helped police uncover the crimes.
He has admitted to drugging her and inviting men to rape her between 2011 and 2020.
But he insists he is no different from the dozens of other men he recruited online to take part in the sexual abuse, alleging they all knew what they were signing up for.
Many of his co-defendants deny this, accusing him of manipulating them into raping his spouse of half a century.
Forty-nine other men are accused of raping or attempting to rape Gisele Pelicot -- with nearly none of them admitting guilt.
One has admitted to sedating his own spouse so that he and Dominique Pelicot could sexually assault her.
The trial is scheduled to last until December.
U.Shaheen--SF-PST