-
Ex-Google exec takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
'Mesmeric' movie on secret lives of Nigeria's rich wows Cannes
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Blockbuster 'Hope' shows S.Korea's growing movie muscle
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
-
Hearts have bright future despite Scottish title pain: McInnes
-
Fernandes 'proud' to match Premier League assists record
-
Germany set to miss 2030 climate goal: experts
-
G7 finance chiefs meet to seek common stance on unstable ground
-
Freedom of speech 'not an absolute right', Hong Kong trial of Tiananmen activists hears
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship docks in Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Philippines swears in senators for VP Duterte's impeachment trial
-
Iran's World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship steams towards Rotterdam at voyage end
-
Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch's zoo
-
Trump says 'clock ticking' for Iran as peace negotiations stall
-
Hong Kong court hears closing arguments in Tiananmen activists' trial
-
World Cup duo Ghana, Cape Verde not among AFCON top seeds
-
African players in Europe: Daring Semenyo wins final for City
-
Kenya's new poaching problem: smuggling Giant Harvester Ants
-
WHO kicks off annual assembly amid hantavirus, Ebola crises
-
S. Korean blockbuster 'Hope' underscores growing film ambition
-
Train driver charged after deadly Bangkok bus collision
-
Angry Chinese table tennis fans demand apology for flag gaffe
-
India's lifeline ferry across strategic archipelago
-
Encroaching world threatens India's last 'uncontacted' tribe
-
India's strategic $9 bn megaport plan for pristine island
-
In Tierra del Fuego, a hunt for the rodent carrier of hantavirus
-
Mitchell leads Cavs past top-seeded Detroit into NBA East finals
-
China's April consumption, factory output growth slowest in years
-
Asian stocks sink, oil rises on US-Iran deadlock
-
Cleveland Cavaliers eliminate top-seeded Detroit from NBA playoffs
-
Who could be the 2026 World Cup's breakout star?
-
Humble PGA champ Rai celebrates English, Indian, Kenyan heritage
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship nears end of voyage, to dock in Rotterdam
-
He said, she said, AI said: Wall Street sex scandal rivets and confounds
-
UN General Assembly to take up climate change 'obligations' resolution
-
Four takeaways from Musk vs OpenAI trial
-
Jury to decide fate of Musk's blockbuster suit against OpenAI
-
Frustrated McIlroy drops F-bomb in exchange with PGA heckler
-
Defending champion Palou storms to Indy 500 pole
-
Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium
Beijing goes quiet as zero-Covid policy smothers capital
Millions of people in Beijing stayed home on Monday as China's capital tries to fend off a Covid-19 outbreak with creeping restrictions on movement.
Beijing residents fear they may soon find themselves in the grip of the same draconian measures that have trapped most of Shanghai's 25 million people at home for weeks.
Officials there have said the eastern powerhouse is winning its battle against the country's worst outbreak since the pandemic began.
Yet the Shanghai lockdown has intensified, causing outrage and rare protest in the last major economy still glued to a zero-Covid policy.
That policy has winded an economy which just months ago had been bouncing back from the pandemic.
Customs data released Monday said exports in April slumped to their lowest monthly rate since June 2020, as key supply chains became knotted by restrictions.
The American Chamber of Commerce in China found that many of its member companies in Shanghai were still shut, with others delaying investments across the country in the face of the disruption.
Chairman Colm Rafferty warned the business community was "bracing for a mass exodus of foreign talent".
There is also a pressing political dynamic to China's virus response, with President Xi Jinping pegging the legitimacy of his leadership on protecting Chinese lives from Covid.
Xi -- expected to secure another five-year term later this year -- has doubled down on the zero-Covid approach, despite mounting public frustration.
In Beijing, subway stations and offices were empty during the Monday-morning rush hour across its most populous district of Chaoyang, after officials stepped up a work-from-home order over rising Covid cases.
Given the "severe and complicated" situation in the capital, official Xu Hejian told reporters that residents should not leave the city while recent negative Covid tests will be needed to enter public places including offices and supermarkets.
Schools are teaching online and gyms and entertainment venues remain closed.
"I feel very uncomfortable seeing so few people around," Wang, a middle-aged cleaner waiting outside a restaurant for her shift to start in the popular Sanlitun area, told AFP.
Beijing has reported hundreds of infections in recent weeks, with 49 new Covid-19 infections confirmed on Monday, a tiny number by international comparisons.
"Working from home is a little annoying, but we need to respond to the needs of the community," said Fang, a 35-year-old advertising professional queueing to get swabbed.
Some finance workers were staying at hotels near their offices as restrictions start to shape daily life in the city of 21 million.
A Beijing-based investment manager who has moved into a hotel near his workplace said his company had told him to "try not to go home" to avoid infection.
"Some of my friends have been advised not to take public transport to work, and to drive or take a bicycle, so as not to be affected by the spread."
- Shanghaied -
Shanghai has borne the brunt of the country's Omicron surge, with more than 500 deaths, according to official numbers.
Anger has seethed at the perceived bungling of virus controls, mixed messaging and heavy-handedness of Shanghai officials, including sweeping people with negative Covid tests into state quarantine and leaving entire neighbourhoods short of food.
Authorities have verified a video that ripped across social media over the weekend showing residents in Zhuanqiao Town neighbourhood clashing with hazmat-suited health authorities over food shortages.
"Police took action as soon as possible to persuade onlookers to disperse and calm the situation down," a statement by the Zhuanqiao Covid response team said Sunday.
Daily case numbers have dwindled into the low thousands but the financial hub has imposed fresh restrictions on residents of multiple neighbourhoods, according to notices seen by AFP, including some previously declared lower-risk.
Y.AlMasri--SF-PST