-
Firefighters push to 'encircle' Belgian wildfire
-
Crude extends gains, most stocks drop as Mideast hopes dim
-
ISS to host first spacewalk by Frenchwoman
-
Rift deepens as Asia football chief hits back at Qatar in Infantino saga
-
Philippine student killed in livestreamed school shooting
-
India extend lead to 294 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
More Trump-Kim 'love'? What we know about North Korea
-
Asian allies stress 'critical cooperation' as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages
-
Williams sisters fall at Cincinnati while Zverev advances
-
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal
-
Transylvania's fortified churches face fragile future
-
Australian cricketer Warner ordered to use breathalyser vehicle lock
-
China mourns former premier Zhu Rongji with flags lowered, funeral
-
A Viking longship in 'The Odyssey'? It's a case of history meets Hollywood
-
Philippine student killed in rare school shooting
-
Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League
-
Arsenal primed for Premier League title defence as rivals face questions
-
Japan lights torch as countdown begins to Asian Games
-
Zverev advances at Cincinnati while Williams sisters fall
-
Make it rain: Indonesia chases clouds to stem El Nino fires
-
Copper powers profit rise at mining giant BHP
-
All aboard as Asian Games preparations enter 'final stages'
-
Whales spark joy in New York but face threats from boat traffic
-
Lights out, crowds gone: Havana waits for what comes next
-
Premier League's new bosses brace for battle
-
How families in Milei's Argentina sank deep into debt
-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
Ex-president dos Santos' body lands in Angola
The body of Angola's Jose Eduardo dos Santos, who died in Spain last month, arrived in Luanda on Saturday, ending a weeks-long feud over the repatriation of the ex-president's corpse.
A plane carrying the remains landed in the Angolan capital from Barcelona in the evening, AFP reporters at the scene said.
Only a few dozen people had gathered at Luanda's airport to welcome the former president's casket.
"I was told he was going to arrive, so I came to greet him. It was a nice welcome," said Wilson Miguel, one of those in attendance.
Several of dos Santos' children and his widow, Ana Paula, were also present. Ana Paula appeared teary as she rushed into a vehicle outside the airport.
Some people clapped as the coffin wrapped in an Angolan flag was taken away followed by a convoy of black cars.
"We Angolans are proud to welcome the remains of president dos Santos, and that he can have a dignified funeral," said another attendee, Telma Pilartes.
Dos Santos, who ruled the oil-rich African nation with an iron first from 1979 to 2017, died in Barcelona on July 8 at the age of 79 after suffering a cardiac arrest.
Since then, the question of when and where he will be buried has pitted the Angolan government and his widow against some of his adult children.
A Barcelona court this week ordered his remains be delivered to Ana Paula and granted authorisation for "the repatriation and international transfer of (his) remains to Angola".
Dos Santos' 44-year-old daughter Tchize dos Santos filed an appeal to challenge the decision.
But Josep Riba Ciurana, a lawyer for the widow told AFP a judge had granted immediate execution of the ruling, allowing the body to leave Spain.
- 'Ripped out of my arms' -
"We are the first to be surprised," said Tchize's lawyer, Carmen Varela, adding they learnt about the repatriation from television and had not been "notified of anything".
Varela explained they wanted to hold the funeral in Barcelona because returning to Angola is not an option for some members of the family.
Several of dos Santos' children have faced an array of corruption investigations in recent years.
The repatriation came just a few days before Angolans are due to head to the polls in a national vote, and marks a small victory for President Joao Lourenco.
Lourenco was addressing a large crowd of supporters at a campaign rally in Luanda as the body's imminent return was announced.
In an Instagram post, Tchize accused the president of using her father's corpse as a campaigning tool, describing this as a "world shame".
The nearly four-decade tenure of dos Santos saw members of his family capitalise on the nation's oil riches while most Angolans remained mired in poverty.
When he stepped down in 2017, dos Santos handed over power to Lourenco, the former defence minister.
But Lourenco quickly turned on his erstwhile patron, unleashing an anti-corruption drive to recoup billions he suspected had been embezzled under dos Santos, a campaign that has targeted the former president's family.
"You took me to the altar and... I will not be able to take you to your last (resting) place," Dos Santos' eldest daughter Isabel, who has faced a slew of investigations into her multinational business dealings, wrote in an Instagram post.
"They ripped you out of my arms."
burs-str-ub/ah
N.Shalabi--SF-PST