-
Williams sisters fall at Cincinnati while Zverev advances
-
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal
-
Transylvania's fortified churches face fragile future
-
Australian cricketer Warner ordered to use breathalyser vehicle lock
-
China mourns former premier Zhu Rongji with flags lowered, funeral
-
A Viking longship in 'The Odyssey'? It's a case of history meets Hollywood
-
Philippine student killed in rare school shooting
-
Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League
-
Arsenal primed for Premier League title defence as rivals face questions
-
Japan lights torch as countdown begins to Asian Games
-
Zverev advances at Cincinnati while Williams sisters fall
-
Make it rain: Indonesia chases clouds to stem El Nino fires
-
Copper powers profit rise at mining giant BHP
-
All aboard as Asian Games preparations enter 'final stages'
-
Whales spark joy in New York but face threats from boat traffic
-
Lights out, crowds gone: Havana waits for what comes next
-
Premier League's new bosses brace for battle
-
How families in Milei's Argentina sank deep into debt
-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
Flood of donations for hungry Brazil boy who called police
A week ago, the cupboards of the Barros family's humble concrete shack were empty.
Today, the family barely know where to stash the mountains of food in their kitchen, after 11-year-old Miguel Barros, one of eight siblings, pulled heartstrings across Brazil when he called the police to report: "We have nothing to eat."
Miguel, whose mother had been feeding her children cornmeal and water for three days -- the only food the family had -- made a sad call Tuesday to Brazil's emergency services.
When the dispatcher asked him what his emergency was, the slight, wiry boy replied, "Mr policeman... it's because there's nothing to eat at my house."
The dispatcher said he would send a police car to the family's home in Santa Luzia, in the impoverished suburbs of the southeastern city of Belo Horizonte.
When officers arrived at the small house with the run-down dirt yard, they thought they might find a case of child neglect.
Instead, they found a story that has become all too common in Latin America's biggest economy: a loving but impoverished mother struggling to feed her family as food prices soar and incomes vanish.
The officers went to the supermarket and came back with a brimming load of food -- including lots donated by the store owner, whom they told of the family's plight.
Then the local press picked up on the story, and Miguel went viral.
Donations of food and money started flooding in from around Brazil and beyond, turning the family's once-bare kitchen into an overflowing mini-market.
"A huge amount of food arrived -- so much different food, I don't even know what it all is," beams Miguel, throwing open a gloriously stuffed cupboard.
- 'Hunger hurts' -
Miguel's mother, Celia, is a 46-year-old single mom of eight children, six of whom still live with her.
Unemployed, she worked odd jobs until the coronavirus pandemic hit, when work disappeared, she says.
"We suffered a lot. I'll never forget it as long as I live, because hunger hurts so much," she told AFP, her youngest baby slung on her hip.
"You get to the point where you can't even get up or do anything.... Miguel saw me desperate and crying, and decided to do what he did. And thank God, that's when everything changed."
The young boy's tale touched people in a country where hunger has become a major issue again, after having almost been eradicated a decade ago.
Brazil appeared on the latest edition of the United Nations' "Hunger Map," with 28.9 percent of the population living in "moderate or severe food insecurity" -- a setback for a country that had been removed from the map in 2014.
Images of empty refrigerators and famished people rushing to pick through loads of discarded animal carcasses have told a haunting tale of the once-booming country's reversal.
A recent study found 30 percent of Brazilians are living in poverty -- less than $5.50 a day -- up from 24 percent in 2014.
With Brazil heading toward divisive elections in October, the front-runners, far-right President Jair Bolsonaro and leftist ex-president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, have traded accusations over who is to blame for the country's malaise.
Miguel is just happy his family has enough to eat -- and then some.
"Now there are so many donations, I've gone from having nothing to having enough to help other people," Celia says proudly.
O.Mousa--SF-PST