-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
-
France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
-
Four-time champion Roglic to ride Vuelta after training crash
-
Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise
-
Ukrainian convicted in Germany over Russian sabotage plot
-
Bayern's Musiala returns to training after on-field collapse
-
Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour
-
China's Baidu, betting on AI, posts fifth straight quarterly revenue drop
-
Kane confirms Bayern extension talks set to start
-
German farmers warn of drought toll on grain harvest
-
Asian allies stress 'critical' US cooperation as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Pant fastest to 100 sixes as India set Sri Lanka 372 to win first Test
-
Pakistan Supreme Court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
Russia rebukes Japan ambassador over disputed islands row
-
Firefighters push to 'encircle' Belgian wildfire
-
Crude extends gains, most stocks drop as Mideast hopes dim
-
ISS to host first spacewalk by Frenchwoman
-
Rift deepens as Asia football chief hits back at Qatar in Infantino saga
-
Philippine student killed in livestreamed school shooting
-
India extend lead to 294 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
More Trump-Kim 'love'? What we know about North Korea
-
Asian allies stress 'critical cooperation' as Trump slashes Korea drills
Aston Martin slashes staff as US tariffs hit carmakers
British luxury carmaker Aston Martin Lagonda on Wednesday announced plans to cut up to 20 percent of its workforce after widening annual losses on US tariffs and weak Chinese demand.
The job losses total around 600, with Aston Martin employing some 3,000 people, mostly in the UK.
The carmaker, which has struggled for several years, added in a statement that its net loss jumped 52 percent last year to £493.2 million ($667 million), compared with 2024.
Group annual revenue dropped 21 percent to £1.258 billion as car sales for the brand beloved by fictional British spy James Bond fell 10 percent to 5,448.
- 'Turbulent year' -
Aston Martin said its latest cost-cutting "programme will ultimately see the departure of up to 20 percent of our valued workforce".
Group chief executive Adrian Hallmark added that the global luxury automotive market last year "faced one of its most turbulent years in recent times".
"Consumer demand was impacted by escalating geopolitical uncertainties and macroeconomic challenges, the most notable being the introduction of increased tariffs in both the United States and China."
Automakers had been among the companies hit hardest by the US tariffs onslaught in 2025 as President Donald Trump sought to bring auto production back to the United States.
Aston Martin limited imports to the US in April and May while awaiting a trade agreement between London and Washington.
It resumed shipments in June after the deal slashed tariffs on UK car exports to 10 percent from 27.5 percent, on a limit of 100,000 vehicles annually.
Aston Martin on Wednesday said that the outlook for the automotive industry "remains challenging" amid "uncertainties over the economic impact from the unpredictable threat or introduction of additional US tariffs, changes to China's ultra-luxury car taxes and the continued reliance on a stable network of global suppliers".
The group added that "while China remains a market with long-term growth potential, demand there remained extremely subdued in line with other luxury automotive peers".
- Share price up -
Aston Martin expects "material improvement in financial performance" this year, "driven by an enhanced product mix, benefits from the ongoing transformation programme and disciplined approach to operations".
The group's share price rose slightly in London following the updates.
"The poor performance is being blamed on external factors, such as US tariffs and macroeconomic uncertainty," noted Aarin Chiekrie, an equity analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown.
"But looking under the hood reveals some internal issues, making Aston Martin's road to redemption more difficult.
"Production delays hampered the group's performance, leading to multiple profit downgrades over the last year," he added.
Faced with financial difficulty, Aston Martin last week said it would sell the naming rights to the Aston Martin Formula One team for £50 million.
Aston Martin Lagonda's biggest shareholder is the Yew Tree Consortium, led by Canadian Lawrence Stroll, whose son Lance Stroll drives for the Formula One team.
K.AbuDahab--SF-PST