-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
-
2,500 dead and rising -- UN says DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'growing exponentially'
-
Stocks tread cautiously as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
England all out for 409, lead Pakistan by 238 runs in 1st Test
-
STARTRADER Launches XAUUSD247, Extending Gold CFD Access Across the Full Week
-
Premier League returns with Arsenal eyeing title dynasty
-
Spurs agree deal to sign Man City's Savinho: reports
-
Bayern knew about Musiala's condition 'a long time ago' says Kompany
-
US-sanctioned ICC head warns against 'demise of international rule of law'
-
Ex-Pakistan PM Khan taken back to jail after hospital checks
-
Top India court orders new steps to protect threatened elephants
-
Real Madrid star players are compatible: Mourinho
Outcry follows CBS pulling program on prison key to Trump deportations
The leadership of CBS News was facing accusations of political meddling on Monday over a last-minute decision to not air a report on the notorious Salvadoran prison where US President Donald Trump has sent deported migrants.
CBS had been due to air the investigation late Sunday about alleged abuses at the CECOT center in El Salvador on its flagship "60 Minutes" program, seen by many as one of the most prestigious and hard-hitting institutions in US journalism.
But the broadcaster quietly announced hours before showtime that the segment would "air in a future broadcast," replacing it with a piece on the sherpas working on Mount Everest.
CBS, which was purchased by the Trump-linked Ellison family earlier this year, said that the prison report needed "additional reporting."
Multiple US media outlets quoted the "60 Minutes" correspondent who oversaw the report as saying it had been pulled for political reasons.
"Pulling it now, after every rigorous internal check has been met, is not an editorial decision, it is a political one," Sharyn Alfonsi said in a note to CBS staff first leaked by The Wall Street Journal.
CECOT is a huge, maximum security facility touted by El Salvador's right-wing President Nayib Bukele as the centerpiece of his attempt to rid the Central American country of narco-gangs.
Human rights activists say inmates there are treated brutally.
The facility has been at the center of major US legal case since March, when the Trump administration sent hundreds of Venezuelan and other migrants there despite a judge's order that they be returned to the United States.
Several deportees who have since been released have described repeated abuse at the facility.
- CBS owners close to Trump -
CBS's decision to shelve a high-profile story on the Trump administration comes as the broadcaster's parent company, Paramount Skydance, is in a multi-billion-dollar bidding war with Netflix to buy Warner Bros Discovery.
Trump has made clear he is taking a keen interest in the merger, which will likely need regulatory approval.
Paramount was purchased by the Ellison family, which is close to Trump, earlier this year. Larry Ellison is one of the world's richest people and a major Trump donor.
The Republican president has frequently criticized "60 Minutes" and sued CBS in 2024 over his claim that the news program had edited an interview with Democrat Kamala Harris in order to help her.
Paramount chief David Ellison -- son of Larry Ellison -- brought in Bari Weiss as a new editor in chief this October, leading to expectations that she would steer the renowned broadcaster to be more friendly to Trump.
In her note to colleagues, Alfonsi said the CECOT segment had been cleared by corporate lawyers before being "spiked."
"If the administration's refusal to participate becomes a valid reason to spike a story, we have effectively handed them a 'kill switch' for any reporting they find inconvenient."
Weiss told The New York Times in a statement that she would be "airing this important piece when it's ready."
"Holding stories that aren't ready for whatever reason -- that they lack sufficient context, say, or that they are missing critical voices -- happens every day in every newsroom."
F.Qawasmeh--SF-PST