-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
-
Brazilian narco violence spills over into tranquil Bolivia
-
Trump vows 'tremendous' economic costs on Iran partners
-
Trump's devoted 'human printer' in media glare
-
Germany, France, UN condemn far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks
-
Top seed Zverev bundled out by Paul in rain-hit Cincinnati upset
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
Trump suggests 'softer touch' needed on immigration
US President Donald Trump suggested Wednesday that a "softer touch" may be needed on immigration, as his administration said 700 federal officers would be pulled from Minnesota after weeks of aggressive and even deadly operations.
The fatal shootings of two protesters in Minneapolis last month sparked widespread outrage in the United States and calls for an end to immigration raids in the Midwestern city, but Trump's administration has been reluctant to shift course.
"I learned that maybe we could use a little bit of a softer touch. But you still have to be tough," Trump said in an interview with NBC's "Nightly News" when asked what he had learned from Minneapolis.
Trump's border chief Tom Homan had earlier announced that 700 federal officers would be withdrawn from Minnesota, but said the contentious deployment would continue, with about 2,000 agents remaining after the drawdown.
The mayor of Minneapolis and the governor of Minnesota -- both Democrats -- described the announcement as "a step in the right direction," but called for the federal government to move faster in winding down its immigration operations in the state.
Homan -- sent as a replacement to oversee the crackdown in Minneapolis as anger over the fatal shootings and the government's false accounts of them grew -- said the reduction would take effect immediately. He cited increased cooperation with local authorities.
Homan said there are now "more officers taking custody of criminal aliens directly from the jails" rather than detaining them on the streets -- efforts that require fewer personnel.
Before the launch of the high-profile crackdown in Minnesota, there were only 150 federal immigration officers in the state, he said.
- 'Mass deportations' -
Homan also stressed he would stay in Minneapolis -- which has become a major flashpoint in Trump's overall immigration policy -- "until we get it all done."
"President Trump fully intends to achieve mass deportations during this administration, and immigration enforcement actions will continue every day throughout this country," Homan said.
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey welcomed the reduction in federal personnel but said on X that the US immigration operation in Minneapolis -- dubbed Metro Surge -- must end "immediately."
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz took a similar stance, calling for a "faster and larger drawdown of forces" and state-led investigations into the killings of the two Minneapolis protesters.
Federal agents shot and killed an unarmed woman, 37-year-old Renee Good, as she attempted to drive away from an encounter with ICE agents last month.
Two weeks later, immigration officers beat and shot dead intensive care nurse Alex Pretti, also 37, as he lay pinned to the ground.
Both victims were US citizens. The killings drew international attention and condemnation over the government's false accounts of what happened, intensifying public concern about the conduct of federal immigration operations.
Following the outcry over the shootings that drew tens of thousands of demonstrators into the streets, Trump withdrew combative Customs and Border Protection commander Gregory Bovino and replaced him with the more policy-focused Homan, who then pledged to draw down the operation with conditions.
B.AbuZeid--SF-PST