-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
US Treasury chief says 'fully prepared' to support struggling Argentina
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Thursday that his agency was "fully prepared to do what is necessary" in support of Argentina, a week after revealing both sides were in talks over an economic aid program.
Argentina's right-wing President Javier Milei, a close ally of US President Donald Trump, had been struggling to halt market turbulence since a stinging defeat in Buenos Aires provincial elections seen as a bellwether for upcoming mid-terms.
Last week, Bessent announced that he was in talks with Buenos Aires on a $20 billion program of support to end a run on the Argentine peso.
That announcement, which followed a meeting between Trump and Milei in New York, caused the peso to rally, but in the absence of new details on the US rescue plan, the currency slumped again this week.
Bessent moved to reassure markets on Thursday, saying on social media that he had a "very positive call" with Argentina's Economy Minister Luis Caputo the day before and adding that further talks were planned in Washington.
"In the coming days I look forward to Minister Caputo's team coming to D.C. to meaningfully advance our discussions in-person regarding options for delivering financial support," Bessent wrote on X.
His remarks helped stabilize the peso, which was trading at 1,450 to the dollar on Thursday, unchanged from Wednesday, but down nearly 5 percent since the start of the week.
Milei, who took office in December 2023 on a promise to revive the economy by shrinking the state, has made strengthening the perenially ailing peso a central plank of his campaign in the October 26 midterm elections.
A defeat for his La Libertad Avanza party could further constrain his ability to get his cost-cutting reforms through Congress.
- 'Lurch to the left' -
Last week, Bessent said the Treasury Department was negotiating with Argentinian officials on "a $20 billion swap line."
The package he outlined also included the possible purchase of Argentine USD bonds and a credit line from the US Treasury, details of which, including the amount, remain unknown.
On Thursday, Bessent told CNBC that Washington was "maintaining a US strategic interest in the Western Hemisphere" when it came to helping Argentina.
"Many of the governments down there moved from farleft to centerright. We did not support them, and then they took a hard lurch to the left," Bessent said.
"And now, Argentina is a beacon down there, and there's a chance now for many other countries to come along -- Bolivia, Ecuador, I think, Colombia -- after the elections," he said. "So, what you don't want are these failed economic models."
Q.Najjar--SF-PST