-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
S.Korea appeals to US to free workers
South Korea's top diplomat made a direct appeal Wednesday to the United States to release hundreds of workers detained in an immigration raid that stunned the close US ally, as a plane dispatched by Seoul was delayed.
South Koreans made up the majority of 475 people arrested at a Hyundai-LG battery plant under construction in Georgia last week, according to immigration agents.
The operation was the largest single-site raid conducted under Donald Trump's sweeping immigration crackdown, a top political priority for the president since he returned to office in January.
The raid, less than a month after Trump welcomed South Korea's new President Lee Jae Myung to the White House, has brought shock to South Korea which for decades has seen the United States as its pivotal ally.
Foreign Minister Cho Hyun flew to Washington where he met Secretary of State Marco Rubio behind closed doors.
Cho also met Korean businesses in Washington and said he was seeking the "prompt and safe return" of the workers as well as assurances that they would not face any repercussions if they seek to visit the United States again in the future, the South Korean foreign ministry said in a statement.
In the meeting with Rubio, Cho "strongly requested the US administration's special interest and support to ensure they can swiftly depart the US without any physical restraints, including handcuffs -- given that they are not criminals," South Korea's Yonhap news agency said, quoting the foreign ministry.
Rubio in a State Department statement saluted the endurance of the alliance with the South, formally known as the Republic of Korea, and only referred in passing to the raid.
Rubio said the United States "welcomes ROK investment into the United States and stated his interest in deepening cooperation on this front," State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott said.
- Repatriation plane -
A Korean Air Boeing 747-8I, which seats over 350 passengers, left Seoul Wednesday, a company representative told AFP.
The Yonhap news agency reported that the plane due to take the workers back home will leave the United States early Thursday.
While no official time has been given for the return flight, South Korean officials said Wednesday it had been delayed "due to circumstances on the US side," without giving details.
South Korean diplomats had been dispatched to Georgia in a major push to free the workers, including through contacting local authorities.
In addition to being a key US security ally, South Korea is Asia's fourth-biggest economy and a major automaker and electronics producer, and its companies have multiple plants in the United States.
Seoul also heeded Washington's repeated call during tariff negotiations for global investment in the United States.
The site of the raid is a $4.3 billion joint venture between two South Korean firms –- Hyundai and LG Energy Solution –- to build a battery cell manufacturing facility in Georgia.
Experts said most of the detained South Korean workers likely held visas that do not allow for hands-on construction work.
The case could provide momentum for Seoul officials to push for a special visa act tailored to South Koreans, said US-licensed attorney Yum Seung-yul.
"Using this as a case in point, officials here could strongly push for the Partner with Korea Act in Washington," he said, referring to a proposal that would create a quota of 15,000 visas for skilled professionals.
G.AbuHamad--SF-PST