-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
-
Paul Pogba to be released by Monaco: club
-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
France has 'debt of justice' to slain Kurds: relative
"It's here in Paris where my sister and her friends were killed," said Metin Cansiz, the brother of Kurdish activist Sakine Cansiz, who was gunned down in January 2013.
"France has a debt of justice towards us."
His eyes are red and his hands tremble as he looks back on the fate of his sister, killed in the French capital on the night of January 9, 2013.
Cansiz, a white-haired 61-year-old, was speaking to AFP days before the 10th anniversary of the still-unsolved slayings. His family, he said, had lost a loved one "sacrificed" on the altar of Franco-Turkish relations.
The approaching anniversary comes days after an eerily similar triple slaying on December 23 at the Kurdish Cultural Centre in Paris -- just a few minutes' walk from the site of the 2013 shootings.
French prosecutors say the suspect in the latest killings has admitted to wanting to "murder migrants", but many Kurds who spoke to AFP said they suspected a "terror" act orchestrated by the Turkish state.
Metin's own commitment to the Kurdish separatist cause saw him spend time in a Turkish jail after the 1980 military coup there.
"This year we feel all the more this responsibility and pain," he explained, speaking through an interpreter.
Sakine Cansiz, 54 was a founder of the PKK Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which has waged a long insurgency against Turkey, and which Ankara and its Western allies consider a terrorist group.
She was shot dead in 2013 along with two other women: Fidan Dogan, 28 and Leyla Saylemez, 24 at the Kurdish Information Centre in Paris' 10th district.
- Killer never caught -
In last month's attack, Abdurrahman Kizil, singer Mir Perwer and Emine Kara, leader of the Movement of Kurdish Women in France linked to the PKK, were shot dead by a man named as William Malet.
Metin knew the victims of these shootings too.
He arrived in Paris from the Netherlands just three days before the December attack.
He went to the cultural centre the following day, where Kara was preparing the annual remembrance ceremony.
"She insisted I didn't get the train on my own. I told her it was fine and she should herself take care.
"And two days later...," he said.
He and the other relatives of those slain in 2013 are still seeking justice, because those responsible have still not been identified.
A Turkish maintenance worker at Charles de Gaulle airport had been due to go on trial for the attack, but he died from a brain tumour shortly before his trial was due to start, in December 2016.
The activists' families point to documents they say prove the involvement of Turkey's spy agency (MIT). In 2014, MIT officially denied any role.
Kurdish groups have urged France to declassify its files on the case.
In May 2019, a French anti-terrorist judge was tasked with re-opening the investigation.
But Metin Cansiz said he was "very disappointed" with a December 20 meeting between relatives' families and the judge, who cited "obstacles" preventing him advancing the case.
"My sister lived here, she was under the protection of France," he said.
"These three women were killed here and that is down to a lapse in security on the part of France.
"We shall only be able to mourn when those responsible are brought to justice," he concludes.
N.Awad--SF-PST