-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
EU tells TikTok to change 'addictive' design
The EU said Friday that it had told TikTok it needs to change its "addictive design" or risk heavy fines, after the Chinese-owned platform was found in breach of the bloc's digital content rules.
The European Commission, announcing preliminary conclusions of a probe opened two years ago, said it found TikTok was not taking effective steps to address negative impacts from some of its features, especially for young people and children.
It said TikTok was believed to be "in breach of the Digital Services Act for its addictive design", including through features such as infinite scroll, autoplay, push notifications, and a highly personalised recommender system.
The commission said its probe so far indicated that TikTok did too little to "assess how these addictive features could harm the physical and mental wellbeing of its users, including minors and vulnerable adults".
To address the concerns -- and avoid the risk of hefty fines -- EU tech chief Henna Virkkunen told reporters that "TikTok has to take actions, they have to change the design of their service in Europe to protect our minors and their wellbeing."
The commission gave examples of what the platform could alter, such as:
-- the platform's "infinite scroll" offering users an uninterrupted feed
-- implementing effective "screen time breaks", including during the night
-- adapting its recommender system, the algorithms used by platforms to feed users more personalised content.
- 'Compulsive use' of TikTok -
The February 2024 investigation was the first opened into TikTok under the DSA, the bloc's powerful content moderation law that has faced the wrath of the US administration under President Donald Trump.
The DSA is part of a bolstered legal armoury adopted by the EU in recent years to curb Big Tech's excesses, and officials have said TikTok has been cooperating with the bloc's digital regulators so far.
The commission findings raised concerns about TikTok design features that "fuel the urge to keep scrolling".
Brussels accused TikTok of disregarding "important indicators of compulsive use of the app" such as the time spent on the platform by children at night.
It also said TikTok had not implemented effective measures to mitigate risks, taking particular aim at screen time management and parental control tools.
The commission found that TikTok's time management tools were "easy to dismiss" including for young users, while parental controls required "additional time and skills from parents to introduce" them.
- 'Extremely cooperative' -
The findings come as several European countries move to curb access to social media for younger teenagers -- with officials weighing whether it is time to follow suit at EU level.
Briefing reporters Friday, Virkkunen said her priority was to make platforms safe for all users, children included.
"Social media should be so safe by design that we shouldn't have that kind of very high age restriction," she said.
TikTok may now access the EU's files and defend itself against the claims.
If the regulator's views are confirmed, the commission can impose a fine of up to six percent of the company's total worldwide annual turnover.
The EU began a separate probe into TikTok in December 2024 on alleged foreign interference during the Romanian presidential elections.
EU digital affairs spokesman Thomas Regnier said Wednesday that TikTok had been "extremely cooperative" with regulators during that investigation and had been taking measures to address the commission's concerns.
Regnier added that while the probe remained open, regulators could monitor how TikTok behaves during other elections.
T.Samara--SF-PST