-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
Two of K-pop's BTS megastars released from military service
The world's most popular boy band are heading for a reunion: K-pop megastars RM and V from BTS were released Tuesday from 18 months of South Korean military service, prompting a fan frenzy.
The seven members of BTS, South Korea's most lucrative musical act, have been on a self-described "hiatus" since 2022 while they separately undertake the mandatory service, required of all South Korean men under 30 due to tensions with the nuclear-armed North.
Hundreds of fans gathered near two army bases just outside of the capital Seoul where band leader RM -- recently named "Favorite K-pop Artist" at the American Music Awards -- and singer V were released Tuesday.
They are two of four BTS members who will be released this week. Two more, who enlisted first, were discharged last year, and the final member SUGA -- who has been working as a social service agent for alternative non-active-duty service -- will be released later this month.
HYBE, the band's agency, urged fans not to go to the discharge location, citing safety concerns.
"With the safety of both artists and fans in mind, we strongly urge fans not to go to the location in person," the agency wrote on Weverse, its superfan platform.
Despite the warning, dozens of fans gathered outside V's military base, eagerly awaiting the return of their star.
"Honestly, I came here with such high expectations," Yang Ho-hee, 28, told AFP outside the base.
Fans had hung colourful banners to welcome the 29-year-old back to civilian life.
"Taehyung, let's never be apart again," one said, referring to V's real name, Kim Tae-hyung. "I'll follow only you, Taehyung. We are each other's strength," said another.
- Reunion tour? -
Near the bases, on a football field where the newly released BTS members are set to speak later, hundreds of fans from around the world gathered hoping to catch a glimpse of their idols.
"Actually, it's mixed emotions. I feel like I'm crying already," said Arlene Mendoza, a fan from the Philippines.
"I've been traveling to Korea so many times, but this is actually the first time I'll see V."
In addition to the army releases, Friday is so-called FESTA -- a celebration that marks the anniversary of the group's debut and typically draws thousands of global fans to Seoul.
Mendoza told AFP she plans to attend fellow member J-hope's concert on Friday, plus join other BTS FESTA events.
All the band members signed new contracts with HYBE in 2023, and once SUGA is released June 21, analysts expect reunion activities.
This should boost the K-pop industry as a whole -- and especially HYBE.
"In the case of HYBE share prices, the current market consensus is seen as not fully reflecting BTS's impact," Lim Soo-jin, an analyst at Daishin Securities, told AFP.
Despite an ongoing police investigation into the company chairman for suspected insider trading and a recent raid by authorities, analysts say HYBE's shares are expected to remain stable.
"We see there's a high possibility of an upward revision in earnings forecasts, which could in turn drive the stock price higher," Lim said.
HYBE's shares have seen a sharp increase, rising by 10 percent over the past week through June 9.
- GDP impact -
Prior to beginning their mandatory military service, the mega boy band generated more than 5.5 trillion won ($4 billion) in yearly economic impact, according to the Korea Culture and Tourism Institute.
That accounts for roughly 0.2 percent of South Korea's total GDP, according to official data.
HYBE has hinted at a BTS comeback this year, but has also said the members "need time for reflection and preparation".
"Normally, the process goes from song production to album release, then a tour," Lee Jae-sang, CEO of HYBE, told a shareholder meeting in March.
"But since BTS have already become global top-tier artists, we are continuing discussions about their vision and what's next," Lee added.
Outside HYBE headquarters in Seoul, banners from fans read: "Thank you for making even the waiting feel joyful."
The building was wrapped with the slogan "WE ARE BACK", the official logo for the upcoming BTS FESTA.
P.AbuBaker--SF-PST