-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
Macron to speak on Louvre future after memo about decay
French President Emmanuel Macron was set on Tuesday to visit the Louvre and make an announcement about its future, after the director of the world's most visited museum voiced alarm about dire conditions for visitors and collections.
"There will be announcements concerning the Louvre and its future," the French presidency said on the eve of the visit without providing further details.
The seat of French kings until Louis XIV abandoned it for Versailles in the late 1600s, the Louvre is regularly listed as the world's most visited museum and houses masterpieces including Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa painting and the Greek marble sculpture of Venus de Milo.
The Paris landmark has become a subject of national concern after the revelation last week of a confidential memo written by Louvre director Laurence des Cars to Culture Minister Rachida Dati warning about the "proliferation of damage in museum spaces".
Furthermore, some areas "are no longer watertight, while others experience significant temperature variations, endangering the preservation of artworks", she added.
The Louvre's popularity was causing a "physical strain" on the historic building, she said.
Des Cars said the Louvre required an overhaul that was likely to be costly and technically complicated.
A total of 8.7 million people visited its famed galleries last year -- around twice the number it was designed for -- and des Cars has expressed concern about the quality of the user experience.
- Costly overhaul -
The Louvre management estimates the renovation work could cost hundreds of millions of euros.
The costs would be a major challenge for the government of Prime Minister Francois Bayrou, which must tackle France's spiralling deficit and growing debt.
A government source said authorities were considering ways to "mobilise resources elsewhere" and get private donors and major companies involved.
France relied on donations from billionaires and the public to restore Notre Dame cathedral, which was ravaged by fire in 2019 and reopened last month.
The restoration cost a total of nearly 700 million euros ($730 million) and was financed from the 846 million euros in donations that poured in from 150 countries.
Macron scored a major diplomatic coup with Notre Dame's renovation and reopening, and some critics say he will seek to score political points with his Louvre announcements amid a protracted political crisis.
"It's not his field," grumbled a member of the government.
"He's buying himself popularity points on the cheap."
Macron's popularity has dropped to a new low since his first election in 2017, showed a poll published on Sunday.
Just 21 percent of respondents to the Ifop poll published in the Journal de Dimanche newspaper expressed satisfaction with the 47-year-old president.
Unlike most other Paris museums, which are closed every Monday, the Louvre is shut on Tuesdays, meaning Macron will not cross paths with the general public on his visit.
S.Abdullah--SF-PST