-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
Swiss business chiefs met Trump on tariffs: Bern
Swiss business leaders have met US President Donald Trump to draw his attention to the toll that steep tariffs are taking on their companies, Switzerland's government said Wednesday.
Trump shocked Switzerland in August when he announced 39-percent duties on imports of goods from the country, among the highest in his global tariff blitz.
Since then, the wealthy Alpine nation has been striving to negotiate a better tariff deal, even as it has slashed its 2026 growth forecast as the tariffs weigh on its export-driven economy.
On Tuesday, Trump said on his Truth Social platform that he had just met with "high level Representatives of Switzerland" and had discussed "many subjects including, and most importantly, Trade and Trade Imbalance".
"The meeting was adjourned with the understanding that our Trade Representative, Jamieson Greer, will discuss the subjects further with Switzerland's Leaders," he said.
Switzerland's government, known as the Federal Council, told AFP the meeting had come about through "a private initiative".
It had "been informed that several Swiss business leaders requested and obtained a meeting with US President Donald Trump", it added in a statement.
"They wished to draw the US President's attention to the impact that the additional 39-percent tariffs are having on their companies," it said.
While the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) had helped prepare the meeting, it was "independent of the Federal Council's involvement", it added.
The government declined to list which business leaders had been involved in the meeting.
It hailed their initiative, but stressed that "the Federal Council is, in principle, responsible for and in charge of negotiations with the relevant US authorities".
Swiss Economy Minister Guy Parmelin, it said, "is in regular contact with the relevant US authorities", including Greer.
The government insisted that it "remains firmly committed to improving the customs situation with the United States".
R.Shaban--SF-PST