-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Germany's Oktoberfest opens under tight security after attacks
Munich's Oktoberfest, the world's biggest beer festival, opened Saturday under heightened security following a string of attacks in Germany attributed to jihadists.
"We will make the Oktoberfest as safe as possible," Munich mayor Dieter Reiter pledged ahead of the 189th edition of the event, which runs until October 6.
Billed as the world's biggest folk culture festival, the Oktoberfest last year drew more than seven million visitors who consumed a total of 6.5 million litres of beer.
The tighter police security this year comes after a spate of extremist attacks, including a deadly knife rampage in the city of Solingen last month.
Police arrested a Syrian man who had allegedly claimed allegiance to the Islamic State group ahead of the attack that killed three people and wounded eight more.
And earlier this month, Munich police shot dead a man after he opened fire on them and at the city's Israeli consulate in what was being treated as a suspected terrorist attack.
Munich police director Christian Huber reassured guests making their way to the Bavarian state capital that the Oktoberfest was the "safest festival in Germany, if not worldwide".
The general threat level was heightened but there were no indications that the Munich festival was being targeted, Huber said Wednesday.
- Cannabis crackdown -
As well as 600 police officers, the city will deploy another 1,500 security guards to guide visitors swiftly through entry controls.
The authorities will install metal detectors around the festival for the first time, as well as monitoring the event on security cameras.
Police will be checking the use of cannabis on the festival premises, despite its legalisation nationwide in April.
Bavaria's authorities have sought to restrict consumption of the drug as much as possible, banning cannabis at public festivals and in beer gardens.
Anyone caught smoking a joint instead of drinking a stein risks a fine of up to 1,500 euros ($1,675).
The Oktoberfest is more than two centuries old though it has been cancelled at times of crisis, such as cholera outbreaks, Napoleon's invasion of Bavaria, both world wars and the Covid pandemic.
The event was originally held in October as the name suggests, to celebrate a royal wedding, but was brought forward by one month to take advantage of the late summer weather.
Many revellers from Germany and around the world sport traditional Bavarian leather shorts and dirndl dresses for the extravaganza, which features oompah music and Schuhplattler dancers.
Years of inflation have not spared the Oktoberfest. There has been grumbling as the price of a large glass mug of beer has soared above 15 euros (above $16) this year.
Z.AlNajjar--SF-PST